The link between firm births and job creation: Is there a Upas Tree effect?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Adriaan Van Stel & David Storey, 2004. "The Link between Firm Births and Job Creation: Is there a Upas Tree Effect?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 893-909.
References listed on IDEAS
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Cressy, Robert, 1996. "Are Business Startups Debt-Rationed?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1253-1270, September.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Fritsch, M., 1993. "A Note on the Measurement of Entry Rates," Papers 93-5, Bergakademie Freiberg Technical University - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Francis J. Greene & Kevin F. Mole & David J. Storey, 2004. "Does More Mean Worse? Three Decades of Enterprise Policy in the Tees Valley," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 41(7), pages 1207-1228, June.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 2002. "Growth Regimes over Time and Space," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 113-124.
- Anne E. Green & Ivan Turok, 2000. "Employability, Adaptability and Flexibility: Changing Labour Market Prospects," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 599-600, October.
- Murray Z. Frank, 1988. "An Intertemporal Model of Industrial Exit," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(2), pages 333-344.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Rees, Hedley & Shah, Anup, 1986. "An Empirical Analysis of Self-employment in the U.K," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 95-108, January.
- C. M. Van Praag & J. S. Cramer, 2001. "The Roots of Entrepreneurship and Labour Demand: Individual Ability and Low Risk Aversion," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(269), pages 45-62, February.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- van Stel, Andre & Storey, David, 2002. "Entrepreneurial growth in British regions 1980-1998," ERSA conference papers ersa02p243, European Regional Science Association.
- André van Stel & David Storey, 2002. "The Relationship between Firm Births and Job Creation," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-052/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- André Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2008.
"The impact of new firm formation on regional development in the Netherlands,"
Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 31-47, January.
- André van Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2005. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200503, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- van Stel, A.J. & Suddle, K., 2005. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-075-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- André van Stel & Kashifa Suddle, 2006. "The Impact of New Firm Formation on Regional Development in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200604, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Calá, Carla Daniela, 2014.
"Regional issues on firm entry and exit in argentina: core and peripheral regions,"
Nülan. Deposited Documents
2023, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Centro de Documentación.
- Calá, Carla Daniela, 2015. "Regional issues on firm entry and exit in Argentina: core and peripheral regions," Nülan. Deposited Documents 2649, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Centro de Documentación.
- Flores-Romero, Manuel G, 2004. "Survival Of The Small Firm And The Entrepreneur Under Demand And Efficiency Uncertainty," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 700, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Flores-Romero, Manuel G., 2004. "Survival of the Small Firm and the Entrepreneur under Demand and Effciency Uncertainty," Economic Research Papers 269594, University of Warwick - Department of Economics.
- Marc Cowling & Mark Taylor & Peter Mitchell, 2004. "Job Creators," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(5), pages 601-617, September.
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 2475, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Rui Baptista & Vítor Escária & Paulo Madruga, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship, regional development and job creation: the case of Portugal,"
Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 49-58, January.
- Rui Baptista & Paulo Madruga & Vitor Escaria, "undated". "Entrepreneurship, Regional Development and Job Creation: the Case of Portugal," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Elert & Dan Johansson, 2014. "The Economic Contribution of High-Growth Firms: Do Policy Implications Depend on the Choice of Growth Indicator?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 337-365, September.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Elert & Dan Johansson, 2016.
"Are high-growth firms overrepresented in high-tech industries?,"
Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 1-21.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Elert, Niklas & Johansson, Dan, 2014. "Are High-Growth Firms Overrepresented in High-tech Industries?," HUI Working Papers 103, HUI Research.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olof & Elert, Niklas & Johansson, Dan, 2015. "Are High-Growth Firms Overrepresented in High-Tech Industries?," Working Paper Series 1062, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2006. "Entrepreneurship, Growth and Restructuring," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2006-13, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Fairlie, Robert W. & Holleran, William, 2012.
"Entrepreneurship training, risk aversion and other personality traits: Evidence from a random experiment,"
Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 366-378.
- Fairlie, Robert, 2014. "Entrepreneurship Training, Risk Aversion and Other Personality Traits: Evidence from a Random Experiment," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt9x83w5k4, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Rui Baptista & Miguel Preto, 2011. "New firm formation and employment growth: regional and business dynamics," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 419-442, May.
- Rocha, Vera & Carneiro, Anabela & Amorim Varum, Celeste, 2015.
"Serial entrepreneurship, learning by doing and self-selection,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 91-106.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Serial entrepreneurship, learning by doing and self-selection," CEF.UP Working Papers 1312, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Nobuyuki Harada, 2007. "Which Firms Exit and Why? An Analysis of Small Firm Exits in Japan," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 401-414, December.
- Metzger, Georg, 2007.
"Personal experience: a most vicious and limited circle!? On the role of entrepreneurial experience for firm survival,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-046, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Metzger, Georg, 2007. "Personal Experience: A Most Vicious and Limited Circle!? On the Role of Entrepreneurial Experience for Firm Survival," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-046 [rev.], ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Vera Catarina Rocha, 2012. "The entrepreneur in economic theory: from an invisible man toward a new research field," FEP Working Papers 459, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Susanne Prantl, 2000. "Post-Entry Selection Among Newly Founded Firms in East and West Germany after Unification: A Competing Risk Model with Forced Bankruptcy Liquidations and Voluntary Liquidations," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1602, Econometric Society.
- Tarlok Singh, 2010. "Does International Trade Cause Economic Growth? A Survey," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(11), pages 1517-1564, November.
More about this item
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENT-2004-07-18 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2004-07-18 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LAB-2004-07-18 (Labour Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:egpdis:2004-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kerstin SchÃ¼ck) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Kerstin SchÃ¼ck to update the entry or send us the correct email address. General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/mpiewde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.