Regional Organizations and Sanctions Against Members: Explaining the Different Trajectories of the African Union, the League of Arab States, and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
The Organization of African Unity (OAU), the League of Arab States (Arab League), and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) were all established as post-colonial projects with the explicit aim to safeguard state borders and shield sovereign governments from external interference. Yet, their approaches to regional interference in domestic affairs have with time taken on different trajectories. This working paper traces the present diversity in regional approaches to negative sanctions against members back to formative events in the early days of regional cooperation. All three organizations had to confront political problems of substantial regional weight at an early stage: the OAU the apartheid regimes in Southern Africa, ASEAN the Vietnam War, and the Arab League the creation of the state of Israel. The analysis demonstrates that the concepts of the region the organizations articulated as they dealt with these problems continue to inform present positions on involvement in domestic affairs.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. W. Arndt & Ross Garnaut, 1979. "Asean And The Industrialization Of East Asia," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 191-212, 03.
- Padelford, Norman J., 1954. "Regional Organization and the United Nations," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(02), pages 203-216, May.
- Barnett, Michael N., 1995. "Sovereignty, nationalism, and regional order in the Arab states system," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(03), pages 479-510, June.
- Munir Majid, 2009. "ASEAN: perspectives on economic integration: cover note: ASEAN In Perspective," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 43630, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Seabury, Paul, 1949. "The League of Arab States: Debacle of a Regional Arrangement," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(04), pages 633-642, November.
- Wilcox, Francis O., 1965. "Regionalism and the United Nations," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 788-811, June.
- Michael Merlingen & Cas Mudde & Ulrich Sedelmeier, 2001. "The Right and the Righteous? European Norms, Domestic Politics and the Sanctions Against Austria," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 59-77, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:kfgxxx:p0059. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sasan ABDI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.