Balancing Competition and Cooperation: The State’s New Power in Crisis Management
In the aftermath of the financial crisis, governments in the western world resumed policy instruments from the immediate post-war period´s mixed economies. These instruments had all been abandoned in the liberalizing market economies of the last decades. How do we interpret these developments in the state’s role in modern economies? Will we witness the return of the interventionist state or are these rather short-term measures rescuing globalized and liberal market economies? By focusing on the initial phase of crisis management between 2008 and 2010 we analyse the three most important policy tools used of the financial crisis: state ownership of banks, fiscal stimuli and the regulation of financial markets. We observe a new capacity of the nation-state to intervene, going beyond mere firefighting, but also falling short of the classic interventionist state. Under the conditions of global markets, state intervention is shaped by the logic of competition for protecting national industries and the logic of cooperation necessary to come to international agreements. For the future, we expect states will retain their newly found powers to protect national business in the global economy.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/LEQS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 573-578, May.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2010. "Growth in a Time of Debt," NBER Working Papers 15639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2010. "Growth in a Time of Debt," Scholarly Articles 11129154, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2010. "Growth in a Time of Debt," CEPR Discussion Papers 7661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucia Quaglia, 2009. "The 'British Plan' as a Pace-Setter: The Europeanization of Banking Rescue Plans in the EU?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 1063-1083, November.
- Dermot Hodson & Lucia Quaglia, 2009. "European Perspectives on the Global Financial Crisis: Introduction," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 939-953, November.
- Michael W. M. Roos, 2009. "Die deutsche Fiskalpolitik während der Wirtschaftskrise 2008/2009," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10(4), pages 389-412, November.
- Beckert, Jens, 2009. "Die Anspruchsinflation des Wirtschaftssystems," MPIfG Working Paper 09/10, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Moravcsik, Andrew, 1997. "Taking Preferences Seriously: A Liberal Theory of International Politics," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(04), pages 513-553, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eiq:eileqs:51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katjana Gattermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.