Walras Retrouve: Decentralized Trading Mechanisms and the Competitive Price
We extend the standard analysis of decentralized markets allowing for the possibility that traders interact simultaneously with more than one trader on the opposite side if the market. In contrast to the literature, we are able to reconcile the Walrasian equilibrium with the outcome of decentralized strategic trade: we show that there exist generic matching mechanisms which determine local market conditions such that, as market frictions vanish, the expected equilibrium price is the one that would result in the static Walrasian market. At the same time, we highlight the relevance of local market conditions in the determination of equilibrium prices.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.ed.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2005. "Bargaining and Markets," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000515, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Muthoo, Abhinay, 1994.
"Strategic Bargaining and Competitive Bidding in a Dynamic Market Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
938, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Muthoo, Abhinay, 1998. "Strategic Bargaining and Competitive Bidding in a Dynamic Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 235-60, April.
- Taylor, Curtis R, 1995. "The Long Side of the Market and the Short End of the Stick: Bargaining Power and Price Formation in Buyers', Sellers', and Balanced Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 837-55, August.
- Gale, Douglas, 1988. "Price Setting and Competition in a Simple Duopoly Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(4), pages 729-39, November.
- Gale, Douglas M, 1986. "Bargaining and Competition Part I: Characterization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 785-806, July.
- Harstad, Ronald M. & Kagel, John H. & Levin, Dan, 1990. "Equilibrium bid functions for auctions with an uncertain number of bidders," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 35-40, May.
- McAfee, R. Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions with a stochastic number of bidders," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:esedps:36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.