Corporate Firm Taxation, Firms Destruction and Long Run Capital Stock
We study the impact of corporate firm taxation over long run capital accumulation and firms dynamics in an heterogeneous firms environment. We assume there are firms with different levels of productivity choosing investment on physical capital and facing an exogenous corporate tax rate. By means of numerical methods, we show that the tax system has a large impact on national investment rate and significantly affect the stock of capital of long term of the economy. The are two forces producing the result. Firstly, the corporate tax rate produces the usual distortion on the user cost of capital, as in Jorgenson (1963), and secondly, the existence of the corporate tax rate might even produce firmâ€™s destruction, as it reduces after tax profits and thus firms become not profitable. This second channel is an extensive margin effect which may have a larger impact on aggregate investment rate and long run capital stock, than the usual distortion on the user cost of capital stressed on the literature.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985.
"Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982. "Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model," Discussion Papers 572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1993.
"Optimal Fiscal Policy in a Business Cycle Model,"
NBER Working Papers
4490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larry E. Jones & Rodolfo E. Manuelli & Peter E. Rossi, 1993.
"On the Optimal Taxation of Capital Income,"
NBER Working Papers
4525, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hauenschild, Nils, 2002. "Capital Accumulation in a Stochastic Overlapping Generations Model with Social Security," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 201-216, September.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:latm04:275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.