Corporate entrepreneurship: Linking strategic roles to multiple dimensions of performance
Using data from a large European financial services firm which engaged in an entrepreneurial initiative to enhance its competitiveness, this paper explores the strategic role of middle managers in the context of corporate entrepreneurship and its link to multiple dimensions of performance. The findings indicate that middle managers’ role can be decomposed along four reliable and stable dimensions that are consistent with those suggested by the literature. Building on a stakeholder approach, the paper relates the identified roles to multiple dimensions of performance, namely to financial performance, customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction. Canonical correlation analysis –a useful and powerful method to explore relations among multidimensional variables– indicates a significant but weak relationship.
|Date of creation:||31 Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bert Flier & Frans A. J. Van Den Bosch & Henk W. Volberda, 2003. "Co-evolution in Strategic Renewal Behaviour of British, Dutch and French Financial Incumbents: Interaction of Environmental Selection, Institutional Effects and Managerial Intentionality," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(8), pages 2163-2187, December.
- Fraser, Donald R. & Phillips, Wallace & Rose, Peter S., 1974. "A Canonical Analysis of Bank Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 287-295, March.
- Frances X. Frei & Ravi Kalakota & Andrew J. Leone & Leslie M. Marx, 1999. "Process Variation as a Determinant of Bank Performance: Evidence from the Retail Banking Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(9), pages 1210-1220, September.
- Robert A. Burgelman, 1983. "Corporate Entrepreneurship and Strategic Management: Insights from a Process Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(12), pages 1349-1364, December.
- Steven W. Floyd, 1997. "Middle Management's Strategic Influence and Organizational Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 465-485, 05.
- Zahra, Shaker A., 1991. "Predictors and financial outcomes of corporate entrepreneurship: An exploratory study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 259-285, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.