Switching costs in competitive health insurance markets
In this paper we investigate the possible presence of switching costs when consumers are offered the opportunity to change their basic health insurance provider. We focus on the specific case of Switzerland which implemented a pure form of competition in basic health insurance markets. We identify several barriers to switching, namely choice overload, status quo bias, the possession of supplementary contracts for enrollees in bad health, firm’s pricing strategies based on providing low price supplementary products, poor regulation of reserves and the limitations of the previous risk-equalization mechanism which left room for risk selection practices.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ESSEC Research Center, BP 105, 95021 Cergy, France|
Web page: http://www.essec.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Farrell & Paul Klemperer, 2006.
"Co-ordination and Lock-in: Competition with Switching Costs and Network Effects,"
2006-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Farrell, Joseph & Klemperer, Paul, 2007. "Coordination and Lock-In: Competition with Switching Costs and Network Effects," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Farrell, Joseph & Klemperer, Paul, 2006. "Coordination and Lock-In: Competition with Switching Costs and Network Effects," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt9n26k7v1, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Farrell, Joseph & Klemperer, Paul, 2006. "Coordination and Lock-In: Competition with Switching Costs and Network Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 5798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank, Richard G. & Lamiraud, Karine, 2009.
"Choice, price competition and complexity in markets for health insurance,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 550-562, August.
- Richard Frank & Karine Lamiraud, 2008. "Choice, Price Competition and Complexity in Markets for Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 13817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brigitte Dormont & Pierre-Yves Geoffard & Karine Lamiraud, 2009.
"The influence of supplementary health insurance on switching behaviour: evidence from Swiss data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(11), pages 1339-1356.
- Brigitte Dormont & Pierre-Yves Geoffard & Karine Lamiraud, 2009. "The influence of supplementary health insurance on switching behaviour: evidence from Swiss data," Post-Print halshs-00754326, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1623 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:essewp:dr-13005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.