An Empirical Assessment of a Tradeoff Between FDI and Exports
The relation between exports and FDI could be complementary or substitutable depending on the types of FDI. Overseas investment to displace exports must have a substitution relation while FDI for vertical fragmentation between countries would boost the home export. Empirical studies have generally found a positive relation and finding a substitution relation is relatively recent. We investigate the relation between those two variables using detailed information of Korean multinational firms and their foreign affiliates from 1999 to 2004. In so doing, unlike previous studies, we consider the host countrys income level and various activities of each affiliate, whether it serves the host country or exports outside in particular. The complementary relation is found by simply following previous studies. Once we consider the host countrys income level and various activities of each affiliate, however, different results are produced. Our empirical results show substitution if the affiliates are located in a developed country and mainly serve the host country, while complementarity if the affiliates export their products outside of the host country. Moreover, the complementary effect is strengthened if they are located in a less developed country.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"Estimating Models of Complex FDI: Are There Third-Country Effects?,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
73, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2007. "Estimating models of complex FDI: Are there third-country effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 260-281, September.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007.
"FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004. "FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:tradew:22009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.