Are the East Asian Currencies still Misaligned? An Analysis Based on Absolute PPP-Income Relationship using Panel Data
Over 10 years after the currency crisis, the degree of exchange rate misalignment is still an issue of contention for East Asian countries. This study evaluates the degrees of currency misalignment of Korea, China, Malaysia, Thailand, the Phillipines, and Indonesia by examining absolute purchasing power parity (PPP)-income relationships using panel data. The distinction between local currency misalignments and the US dollar misalignment is stressed. The estimated misalignments in 2007 were 22.4 per cent overvaluation for the Indonesian rupiah, 12.5 per cent overvaluation for the Philippine peso, and 15.6 per cent undervaluation for the Malaysian ringgit.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atsushi Iimi, 2006. "Exchange Rate Misalignment; An Application of the Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (Beer) to Botswana," IMF Working Papers 06/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie D. & Fujii, Eiji, 2007.
"The overvaluation of Renminbi undervaluation,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 762-785, September.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1918, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," NBER Working Papers 12850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," Working Papers 112007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Motonishi, Taizo, 2002. "Modifications of the Balassa-Samuelson Model: The Effects of Balanced Growth and Capital Accumulation," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 31-49, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22882. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.