A Robust LM Test for Spatial Error Components
This paper presents a modified LM test of spatial error components, which is shown to be robust against distributional misspecifications and spatial layouts. The proposed test differs from the LM test of Anselin (2001) by a term in the denominators of the test statistics. This term disappears when either the errors are normal, or the variance of the diagonal elements of the product of spatial weights matrix and its transpose is zero or approaching to zero as sample size goes large. When neither is true, as is often the case in practice, the effect of this term can be significant even when sample size is large. As a result, there can be severe size distortions of the Anselins LM test, a phenomenon revealed by the Monte Carlo results of Anselin and Moreno (2003) and further confirmed by the Monte Carlo results presented in this paper. Our Monte Carlo results also show that the proposed test performs well in general.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anil Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000.
"Test for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification,"
Department of Economics, Working Papers
022, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Bera, Anil K. & Sosa-Escudero, Walter & Yoon, Mann, 2001. "Tests for the error component model in the presence of local misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Anil K. Bera & Walter Sosa Escudero & Mann Yoon, 2000. "Tests for the Error Component Model in the Presence of Local Misspecification," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1888, Econometric Society.
- Luc Anselin & Rosina Moreno, 2001.
"Properties of tests for spatial error components,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa01p183, European Regional Science Association.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Lee, Lung-fei, 2007. "Identification and estimation of econometric models with group interactions, contextual factors and fixed effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 333-374, October.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Bera, Anil K. & Yoon, Mann J., 1993. "Specification Testing with Locally Misspecified Alternatives," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 649-658, August.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 2002. "Consistency And Efficiency Of Least Squares Estimation For Mixed Regressive, Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 252-277, April.
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:develo:22488. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.