Nonparametric Estimation of a Survivor Function with Across-Interval-Censored Data
In this paper we present a a generalized self-consistent algorithm that estimates a survivor function with across-interval- censored data. This algorithm is an iterative procedure based on Turnbull's (1974) reallocation idea. At each step of the iteration, the procedure first reduces the across-interval-censored problem to a singly-censored one, and then it applies the Kaplan-Meier estimation method. The main result of this paper is that our algorithm produces the maximum likelihood estimate. Unlike Turnbull (1974, 1976), we explicitly discuss situations in which corner solutions are encountered. The investigation is motivated from environmental economics where data from contingent valuation surveys are often used to nonparametrically estimate the willingness to pay distribution. In this estimation, the algorithm of Turnbull (1974, 1976) plays an instrumental role. However, there is a data grouping mechanism found in some contingent valuation surveys to which Turnbull's method does not apply. We refer to these cases as distinct bids and mixed bids, where across-interval-censored observations are common.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- An, Mark Y. & Roberto Ayala, 1995.
"A Mixture Model of Willingness to Pay Distributions,"
95-21, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An & Roberto Ayala, 1996. "A Mixture Model of Willingness to Pay Distributions," Econometrics 9611002, EconWPA.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & Michelle D. James, 1986.
"Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-Ended" Contingent Valuation Surveys,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
404, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann & James, Michelle D, 1987. "Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-ended' Contingent Valuation Surveys," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 269-76, May.
- Carson, Richard T. & Hanemann, W. Michael, 2006. "Contingent Valuation," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 821-936 Elsevier.
- Carson, Richard T & Wilks, Leanne & Imber, David, 1994. "Valuing the Preservation of Australia's Kakadu Conservation Zone," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 727-49, Supplemen.
- Mark Yuying An, 1996.
"Semiparametric Estimation of Willingness to Pay Distributions,"
- An, Mark Yuying, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Willingness to Pay Distributions," Working Papers 96-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Carson & Robert Mitchell & Michael Hanemann & Raymond Kopp & Stanley Presser & Paul Ruud, 2003. "Contingent Valuation and Lost Passive Use: Damages from the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(3), pages 257-286, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:duk:dukeec:96-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.