Trade Liberalization, Foreign Direct Investment, and Productivity of Russian Firms
The paper studies the effect of liberalization of imports and foreign direct investment on Russian firms. Using the firm-level data from 1993-2000, the paper finds that competition with imports and with FDI exerts positive effect on domestic firms. Prior to the 1998 crisis, this effect is weaker in the case of firms located in complex industries. Increased availability of imported inputs or inputs produced by foreignowned firms helped to improve productivity of domestic firms in the mid-1990s, although the devaluation of the ruble in 1998 temporarily made firms relying on foreign-produced inputs less competitive. Finally, entry of foreign-owned firms in some cases leads to improvements in TFP of the firms that produce inputs for foreignowned firms. This effect also weakened after 1998, possibly because of the negative effect of devaluation on foreign-owned firms.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +45 6550 2233
Fax: +45 6550 1090
Web page: http://degit.sam.sdu.dk/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roland, G. & Verdier, T., 1997.
"Transition and the Output Fall,"
DELTA Working Papers
97-09, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Gerard Roland & Thierry Verdier, 1997. "Transition and the Output Fall," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 37, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Roland, Gérard & Verdier, Thierry, 1997. "Transition and the Output Fall," CEPR Discussion Papers 1636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pavcnik, Nina, 2002.
"Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvement: Evidence from Chilean Plants,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 245-76, January.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2002. "Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 245-276.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2000. "Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants," NBER Working Papers 7852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1987. "The narrow moving band, the Dutch disease, and the competitive consequences of Mrs. Thatcher : Notes on trade in the presence of dynamic scale economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 41-55, October.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1997.
"Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1997. "Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn," NBER Working Papers 5896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlo Altomonte & Laura Resmini, 2001.
"Multinational Corporations as Catalyst for Industrial Development: The Case of Poland,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
368, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Carlo Altomonte & Laura Resmini, 2001. "Multinational Corporations as Catalyst for Industrial Development. The Case of Poland," LICOS Discussion Papers 9701, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Robert Z. Lawrence & David E. Weinstein, 1999. "Trade and Growth: Import-Led or Export-Led? Evidence From Japan and Korea," NBER Working Papers 7264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deg:conpap:c008_009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Pedersen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.