The Persistence of Self-Employment Across Borders: New Evidence on Legal Immigrants to the United States
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Randall K.Q Akee & David A Jaeger & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2013. "The Persistence of Self-Employment Across Borders: New Evidence on Legal Immigrants to the United States," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 126-137.
- Randall Kekoa Quinones Akee & David A. Jaeger & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2007. "The Persistence of Self-Employment Across Borders: New Evidence on Legal Immigrants to the United States," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0717, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Akee, Randall K. Q. & Jaeger, David A. & Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2007. "The Persistence of Self-Employment Across Borders: New Evidence on Legal Immigrants to the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 3250, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
References listed on IDEAS
- Magnus Lofstrom, 2002.
"Labor market assimilation and the self-employment decision of immigrant entrepreneurs,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 83-114.
- Lofstrom, Magnus, 1999. "Labor Market Assimilation and the Self-Employment Decision of Immigrant Entrepreneurs," IZA Discussion Papers 54, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-535, June.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Robert W. Fairlie & Bruce D. Meyer, 1996.
"Ethnic and Racial Self-Employment Differences and Possible Explanations,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(4), pages 757-793.
- Fairlie, Robert, 2014. "Ethnic and Racial Self-Employment Differences and Possible Explanations," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt24p7v6gc, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Bates, Timothy, 1995. "Self-employment entry across industry groups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 143-156, March.
- Edward P. Lazear, 2004. "Balanced Skills and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(2), pages 208-211, May.
- David A. Jaeger, 2007.
"Green Cards and the Location Choices of Immigrants in the United States, 1971–2000,"
Research in Labor Economics, in: Barry R. Chiswick (ed.), Immigration, volume 27, pages 131-183,
Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- David A. Jaeger, 2006. "Green Cards and the Location Choices of Immigrants in the United States, 1971-2000," Working Papers 29, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Jaeger, David A., 2006. "Green Cards and the Location Choices of Immigrants in the United States, 1971-2000," IZA Discussion Papers 2145, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Erik Hurst & Annamaria Lusardi, 2004. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 319-347, April.
- Zissimopoulos, Julie M. & Karoly, Lynn A., 2007. "Transitions to self-employment at older ages: The role of wealth, health, health insurance and other factors," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 269-295, April.
- George J. Borjas, 1986. "The Self-Employment Experience of Immigrants," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(4), pages 485-506.
- Borjas, George J & Bronars, Stephen G, 1989. "Consumer Discrimination and Self-employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 581-605, June.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-694, July.
- Blanchflower, David G & Meyer, Bruce D, 1994. "A Longitudinal Analysis of the Young Self-Employed in Australia and the United States," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Michael J. Pisani & JosÃ© A. Pagán, 2004. "Self-employment in the era of the new economic model in Latin America: a case study from Nicaragua," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 335-350, July.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1978. "Unionism and Wage Rates: A Simultaneous Equations Model with Qualitative and Limited Dependent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(2), pages 415-433, June.
- James J. Heckman, 1981. "Heterogeneity and State Dependence," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 91-140, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcus H. Böhme & Sarah Kups, 2017. "The economic effects of labour immigration in developing countries: A literature review," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 335, OECD Publishing.
- repec:krk:eberjl:v:3:y:2015:i:3:p:29-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2016. "Immigrant Entrepreneurship," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Entrepreneurial Businesses: Current Knowledge and Challenges, pages 187-249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gonzalo Castañeda, 2013. "The Rise and Fall of the Barcelonnettes in Mexico and their Implications for a Theory of Entrepreneurial Diasporas," Economía Mexicana NUEVA ÉPOCA, , vol. 0(4, Cierre), pages 497-540.
- Andersson, Henrik, 2018. "Ethnic Enclaves, Self-Employment and the Economic Performance of Refugees," Working Paper Series 2018:7, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- de Mello, João M.P. & Waisman, Caio & Zilberman, Eduardo, 2014.
"The effects of exposure to hyperinflation on occupational choice,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 109-123.
- Caio Waisman & João Manoel Pinho de Mello & Eduardo Zilberman, 2013. "The Effects of Exposure to Hyperinflation on Occupational Choice," Textos para discussão 614, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Fornaro, Paolo, 2018. "Immigrant Entrepreneurship in Finland," ETLA Reports 83, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ken Clark, 2015. "Ethnic minority self-employment," IZA World of Labor, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA), pages 120-120, January.
- Evgueni Vinogradov & Eva Jenny Benedikte Jørgensen, 2017. "Differences in international opportunity identification between native and immigrant entrepreneurs," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 207-228, June.
- repec:kap:sbusec:v:49:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11187-017-9848-8 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsSelf-employment; entrepreneurship; New Immigrant Survey;
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENT-2008-01-05 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-LAB-2008-01-05 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2008-01-05 (Economics of Human Migration)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwm:wpaper:69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daifeng He) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Daifeng He to update the entry or send us the correct email address or (Alfredo Pereira). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/decwmus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.