A uniform Time Trade Off method for states better and worse than dead: feasibility study of the ‘lead time’ approach
The way Time Trade Off (TTO) values are elicited for states of health considered ‘worse than being dead’ has important implications for the mean values used in economic evaluation. Conventional approaches to TTO, as used in the UK’s ‘MVH’ value set, are problematic because they require fundamentally different tradeoffs tasks for the valuation of states better and worse than dead. This study aims to refine and test the feasibility of a new approach described by Robinson and Spencer (2006), and to explore the characteristics of the valuation data it generates. The approach introduces a ‘lead time’ into the TTO, producing a uniform procedure for generating values either >0 or
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Social Sciences Building, City University London, Whiskin Street, London, EC1R 0JD, United Kingdom,|
Phone: +44 (0)20 7040 8500
Web page: http://www.city.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drummond, Michael F. & Sculpher, Mark J. & Torrance, George W. & O'Brien, Bernie J. & Stoddart, Greg L., 2005. "Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780198529453, April.
- Buckingham, Ken J. & Devlin, Nancy Joy, 2009.
"A note on the nature of utility in time and health and implications for cost utility analysis,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 362-367, January.
- Buckingham, K. & Devlin, N., 2008. "A note on the nature of utility in time and health and implications for cost utility analysis," Working Papers 08/02, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Robinson, Angela & Dolan, Paul & Williams, Alan, 1997. "Valuing health status using VAS and TTO: What lies behind the numbers?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1289-1297, October.
- Angela Robinson & Anne Spencer, 2006. "Exploring challenges to TTO utilities: valuing states worse than dead," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 393-402.
- Devlin, N. & Tsuchiya, A. & Buckingham, K. & Tilling, C., 2009. "Does the value of quality of life depend on duration?," Working Papers 09/07, Department of Economics, City University London.
- L. M. Lamers & J. McDonnell & P. F. M. Stalmeier & P. F. M. Krabbe & J. J. V. Busschbach, 2006. "The Dutch tariff: results and arguments for an effective design for national EQ-5D valuation studies," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(10), pages 1121-1132.
- Tsuchiya, Aki & Brazier, John & Roberts, Jennifer, 2006. "Comparison of valuation methods used to generate the EQ-5D and the SF-6D value sets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 334-346, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)