National Debt Sustainability and the Dynamics in the Economy of Diamond
We analyze the effect of a constant debt policy on capital accumulation and provide an in-depth treatment of the dynamics in the economy of Diamond. We derive the conditions for avoiding a debt crisis in both the short-run and the long-run and provide geometrical tools to analyze the issue of sustainability. There is always a level of debt ensuring that any level of capital between 0 and an upper limit, and in particular the Golden rule equilibrium, exists as a steady-state equilibrium, yet it is not necessarily stable. We also discuss poverty trap issues.
|Date of creation:||01 May 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place Montesquieu 3, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/immaq/ires
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bertocchi, Graziella, 1994. "Safe Debt, Risky Capital," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(244), pages 493-508, November.
- Ihori, Toshihiro, 1978. "The Golden Rule and the Role of Government in a Life Cycle Growth Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 389-396, June.
- King, Ian & Ferguson, Don, 1993. "Dynamic inefficiency, endogenous growth, and Ponzi games," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 79-104, August.
- Noriyuki Yanagawa & Gene M. Grossman, 1992.
"Asset Bubbles and Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galor, Oded & Ryder, Harl E., 1989. "Existence, uniqueness, and stability of equilibrium in an overlapping-generations model with productive capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 360-375, December.
- Neil Rankin & Barbara Roffia, 2003.
"Maximum Sustainable Government Debt in the Overlapping Generations Model,"
University of Manchester, vol. 71(3), pages 217-241, 06.
- Rankin, Neil & Roffia, Barbara, 1999. "Maximum Sustainable Government Debt in the Overlapping Generations Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 2076, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rankin, N. & Roffia, B., 1999. "Maximum Sustainable Government Debt in the Overlapping Generations Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 521, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Azariadis, Costas & Smith, Bruce, 1998. "Financial Intermediation and Regime Switching in Business Cycles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 516-536, June.
- Jones, Larry E & Manuelli, Rodolfo E, 1990. "A Convex Model of Equilibrium Growth: Theory and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1008-1038, October.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvir:1999015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.