Optimal policies for discrete time risk processes with a Markov chain investment model
We consider a discrete risk process modelled by a Markov Decision Process. The surplus could be invested in stock market assets. We adopt a realistic point of view and we let the investment return process to be statistically dependent over time. We assume that follows a Markov Chain model. To minimize the risk there is a possibility to reinsure a part or the whole reserve. We consider proportional reinsurance. Recursive and integral equations for the ruin probability are given. Generalized Lundberg inequalities for the ruin probabilities are derived. Stochastic optimal control theory is used to determine the optimal stationary policy which minimizes the ruin probability. To illustrate these results numerical examples are included.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sundt, Bjorn & Teugels, Jozef L., 1997. "The adjustment function in ruin estimates under interest force," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 85-94, April.
- Sundt, Bjorn & Teugels, Jozef L., 1995. "Ruin estimates under interest force," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 7-22, April.
- Cai, Jun & Dickson, David C.M., 2004. "Ruin probabilities with a Markov chain interest model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 513-525, December.
- Hipp, Christian & Taksar, Michael, 2000. "Stochastic control for optimal new business," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 185-192, May.
- Groniowska, Agnieszka & Niemiro, Wojciech, 2005. "Controlled risk processes in discrete time: Lower and upper approximations to the optimal probability of ruin," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 433-440, June.
- Hipp, Christian & Plum, Michael, 2000. "Optimal investment for insurers," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 215-228, October.
- Browne, S., 1995. "Optimal Investment Policies for a Firm with a Random Risk Process: Exponential Utility and Minimizing the Probability of Ruin," Papers 95-08, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Gajek, Leslaw, 2005. "On the deficit distribution when ruin occurs--discrete time model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 13-24, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws062408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.