Perspectives on Japanese Investment, Employment and Management in Australia
In the postwar period Japanese foreign direct investment in Australia has played a key role in strengthening trading links between the two countries and influencing the industrial structure of Australia. This paper surveys the pattern and intensity of Japanese investment in the 1990s as well as the motivations of Japanese investors – both in Australia and the rest of the world. It assesses the organisational and industrial distribution of investment, employment creation, and the conduct of industrial relations by Japanese firms in Australia, in a range of industries. The role of Japanese management and differences in the conduct of industrial relations in Japanese workplaces in Australia are considered in comparative perspective. The paper surveys the characteristics and outward orientation of these firms, particularly in the automotive industry – one of the largest areas of Japanese investment and employment in Australia. Overall, Japanese subsidiaries in Australia are considered to have relatively similar employment and industrial relations practices as other firms.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (61-2) 6249 3780
Fax: (61-2) 6249 3941
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research_units/ajrc/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996.
"Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Papers 95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Kenneth A. Froot, 1991. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 3737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N. Cooke, 1997. "The Influence of industrial relations factors on U.S. foreign direct investment abroad," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(1), pages 3-17, October.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175820 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1994. "Foreign-Owned Firms and U.S. Wages," NBER Working Papers 4927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Gaston, Noel, 1998. "The Impact of International Trade and Protection on Australian Manufacturing Employment," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 119-36, June.
- Roger Farrell, 1997. "Japanese Foreign Direct Investment in Real Estate 1985-1994," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 272, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csg:ajrcau:290. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akira Kinefuchi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.