History, Path Dependence and Development: Evidence from Colonial Railroads, Settlers and Cities in Kenya
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Remi Jedwab & Edward Kerby & Alexander Moradi, 2014. "History, Path Dependence and Development: Evidence from Colonial Railroads, Settlers and Cities in Kenya," Working Papers 2014-02, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Okoye, Dozie & Pongou, Roland, 2015. "Sea Change: The Competing Long-Run Impacts of the Transatlantic Slave Trade and Missionary Activity in Africa," MPRA Paper 66221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Remi Jedwab & Alexander Moradi, 2016.
"The Permanent Effects of Transportation Revolutions in Poor Countries: Evidence from Africa,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 268-284, May.
- Remi Jedwab & Alexander Moradi, 2015. "The Permanent Effects of Transportation Revolutions in Poor Countries: Evidence from Africa," CEH Discussion Papers 031, Centre for Economic History, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Gregor Pfeifer & Fabian Wahl & Martyna Marczak, 2018.
"Illuminating the World Cup effect: Night lights evidence from South Africa,"
Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(5), pages 887-920, November.
- Pfeifer, Gregor & Wahl, Fabian & Marczak, Martyna, 2016. "Illuminating the world cup effect: Night lights evidence from South Africa," Hohenheim Discussion Papers in Business, Economics and Social Sciences 16-2016, University of Hohenheim, Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Wahl, Fabian & Pfeifer, Gregor & Marczak, Martyna, 2016. "Illuminating the World Cup Effect: Night Lights Evidence from South Africa," VfS Annual Conference 2016 (Augsburg): Demographic Change 145938, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- L. DeBenedictis & AM. Pinna, 2015. "Islands as 'Bad Geography'. Insularity, Connectedness, Trade Costs and Trade," Working Paper CRENoS 201504, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Wouter Zant, 2018.
"Trains, Trade, and Transaction Costs: How Does Domestic Trade by Rail Affect Market Prices of Malawi Agricultural Commodities?,"
World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 32(2), pages 334-356.
- Wouter Zant, 2015. "Trains, Trade and Transaction Costs: How does Domestic Trade by Rail affect Market Prices of Malawi Agricultural Commodities?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 15-055/V, Tinbergen Institute, revised 22 Jul 2016.
- Zant,Wouter, 2017. "Trains, trade and transaction costs : how does domestic trade by rail affect market prices of Malawi agricultural commodities ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8132, The World Bank.
- Wouter Zant, 2015. "Trains, Trade and Transaction Costs: How does Domestic Trade by Rail affect Market Prices of Malawi Agricultural Commodities?," Working Papers 2015/05, Maastricht School of Management.
- David Stifel & Bart Minten & Bethlehem Koru, 2016. "Economic Benefits of Rural Feeder Roads: Evidence from Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(9), pages 1335-1356, September.
- Dozie Okoye & Roland Pongou & Tite Yokossi, 2016.
"On the Dispensability of New Transportation Technologies : Evidence from Colonial Railroads in Nigeria,"
1620E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Okoye, Dozie & Pongou, Roland & Yokossi, Tite, 2016. "On the Dispensability of New Transportation Technologies: Evidence from Colonial Railroads in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 75262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wahl, Fabian, 2015. "The long shadow of history: Roman legacy and economic development - evidence from the German limes," Hohenheim Discussion Papers in Business, Economics and Social Sciences 08-2015, University of Hohenheim, Faculty of Business, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Jeffrey Lin, 2015. "The puzzling persistence of place," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Q2, pages 1-8.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Ross, Stephen L., 2015.
"Change and Persistence in the Economic Status of Neighborhoods and Cities,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: Gilles Duranton & J. V. Henderson & William C. Strange (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 0, pages 1047-1120,
- Stuart Rosenthal & Stephen L. Ross, 2014. "Change and Persistence in the Economic Status of Neighborhoods and Cities," Working Papers 2014-018, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Stuart S. Rosenthal & Stephen L. Ross, 2014. "Change and Persistence in the Economic Status of Neighborhoods and Cities," Working papers 2014-23, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Francois Maystadt & Gilles Duranton, 2014. "The development push of refugees," Working Papers 66910685, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Mesbah Motamed & Raymond Florax & William Masters, 2014.
"Agriculture, transportation and the timing of urbanization: Global analysis at the grid cell level,"
Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 339-368, September.
- Mesbah J. Motamed & Raymond J.G.M. Florax & William A. Masters, 2014. "Agriculture, Transportation and the Timing of Urbanization: Global Analysis at the Grid Cell Level," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 14-002/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
- Melissa Dell & Benjamin A. Olken, 2017. "The Development Effects of the Extractive Colonial Economy: The Dutch Cultivation System in Java," NBER Working Papers 24009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cemal Eren Arbatli & Gunes Gokmen, 2016. "Minorities, Human Capital and Long-Run Development: Persistence of Armenian and Greek Influence in Turkey," CESifo Working Paper Series 6268, CESifo.
More about this item
KeywordsPath Dependence; Urbanisation; Transportation; Colonialism;
All these keywords.
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R40 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics - - - General
- O18 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O33 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- N97 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History - - - Africa; Oceania
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2014-02-02 (Africa)
- NEP-GEO-2014-02-02 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HIS-2014-02-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-TRE-2014-02-02 (Transport Economics)
- NEP-URE-2014-02-02 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:csa:wpaper:2014-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia Coffey). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/csaoxuk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.