Some Political Aspects of Unemployment
We study a number of mechanisms through which an economy can be stuck at a high unemployment equilibrium because a poor labour market is associated with support for poor policy. These mechanisms are consistent with the relative scarcity of measures that have been undertaken to cure unemployment. The message of the paper is that curing the European unemployment problem is a difficult task because a lot of skill is required to avoid political pitfalls.
|Date of creation:||May 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Bean, Charles, 1989.
" Why Does Unemployment Persist?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 371-96.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1993. "Political Equilibrium, Income Distribution, and Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 755-76, October.
- Layard, R., 1989. "European Unemployment: Cause And Cure," Papers 368, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1994.
"The Dynamics of Exclusion and Fiscal Conservatism,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- Gilles Saint-Paul, 1993.
"On the Political Economy of Labor Market Flexibility,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1993, Volume 8, pages 151-196
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1993. "On the Political Economy of Labour Market Flexibility," CEPR Discussion Papers 803, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1993. "On the Political Economy of Labor Market Flexibility," DELTA Working Papers 93-02, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.