Some Political Aspects of Unemployment
We study a number of mechanisms through which an economy can be stuck at a high unemployment equilibrium because a poor labour market is associated with support for poor policy. These mechanisms are consistent with the relative scarcity of measures that have been undertaken to cure unemployment. The message of the paper is that curing the European unemployment problem is a difficult task because a lot of skill is required to avoid political pitfalls.
|Date of creation:||May 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Bean, Charles, 1989.
" Why Does Unemployment Persist?,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 371-96.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1993.
"On the Political Economy of Labor Market Flexibility,"
DELTA Working Papers
93-02, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Gilles Saint-Paul, 1993. "On the Political Economy of Labor Market Flexibility," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1993, Volume 8, pages 151-196 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1993. "On the Political Economy of Labour Market Flexibility," CEPR Discussion Papers 803, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Layard, R., 1989. "European Unemployment: Cause And Cure," Papers 368, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1993. "Political Equilibrium, Income Distribution, and Growth," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 755-76, October.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1994.
"The Dynamics of Exclusion and Fiscal Conservatism,"
DELTA Working Papers
94-15, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.