Canada: No Place Like Home for Antidumping
We analyze temporary trade barriers (TTB) in Canada in 1989-2009. We find that, despite the retreat in TTB stocks in the last decade, there are signs of a rebound. New AD cases have surged during the crisis, which portends a rise in AD stocks that could last for several years. Thus, the connection of AD protection to the business cycle remains strong. A second finding is that there appears to be a major structural shift underway in terms of the products and countries on which TTBs are applied. The product scope of AD protection has narrowed, and increases in AD protection have taken place in sectors with relatively small reductions of MFN tariffs. China and, to a lesser extent, other developing countries are being targeted with far greater intensity than ever before. Finally, the duration of AD remedies fell during the first half of the 2000s though this seems to have been reversed in the latter half of the decade.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chad P. Bown, 2007. "Canada's Anti-dumping and Safeguard Policies: Overt and Subtle Forms of Discrimination," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(9), pages 1457-1476, 09.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Bown, Chad P., 2003.
"Antidumping and retaliation threats,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 249-273, August.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Chad P. Bown, 2001. "Antidumping and Retaliation Threats," NBER Working Papers 8576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Prusa & Robert Teh, 2010. "Protection Reduction and Diversion: PTAs and the Incidence of Antidumping Disputes," NBER Working Papers 16276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Michael Finger & Andrei Zlate, 2005. "Antidumping: Prospects for Discipline from the Doha Negotiations," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 632, Boston College Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)