A Suggested Reformulation of the Theory of Optimal Currency Areas
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Jacques Mélitz, 1995. "A suggested reformulation of the theory of optimal currency areas," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 281-298, July.
References listed on IDEAS
- Vaubel, Roland, 1978. "Real exchange-rate changes in the European community : A new approach to the determination of optimum currency areas," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 319-339, May.
- Paul DE GRAUWE & Hilde Heens, 1993. "Real Exchange Rate Variability in Monetary Unions," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1993015, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990.
"Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt40m5g6pp, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1991. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," NBER Working Papers 3579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1990. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," Economics Working Papers 90-151, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1990. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area?," CEPR Discussion Papers 478, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Willett & Edward Tower, 1970. "Currency areas and exchange-rate flexibility," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 105(1), pages 48-65, September.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R., 1995.
"Fiscal flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for monetary union in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 253-274, February.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R, 1994. "Fiscal Flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for Monetary Union in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1057, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert E. Hall, 1970. "Why Is the Unemployment Rate So High at Full Employment?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 1(3), pages 369-410.
- Robinson, W & Webb, T R & Townsend, M A, 1979. "The Influence of Exchange Rate Changes on Prices: A Study of 18 Industrial Countries," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 46(181), pages 27-50, February.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991.
"Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe From the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
3855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sachs, Jeffrey & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Fiscal Federalism and Optimum Currency Areas: Evidence for Europe from the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Winckler, Georg, 1995.
"The advantages of tying Austria's hands: The success of the hard currency strategy,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 83-111, March.
- Eduard HOCHREITER & Georg WINCKLER, 1993. "The Advantages of Tying Austria's Hands: The Success of the Hard Currency Strategy," Vienna Economics Papers vie9307, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Fleming, J Marcus, 1971. "On Exchange Rate Unification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 467-488, September.
- Paul R. Masson & Mark P. Taylor, 1993. "Fiscal Policy within Common Currency Areas," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 29-44, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jacques Mélitz, 1996.
"The theory of optimum currency areas, trade adjustment, and trade,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 99-116, April.
- Melitz, Jacques, 1993. "The Theory of Optimum Currency Areas, Trade Adjustment and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 847, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heinemann, Friedrich, 1994. "Central Europe and European monetary integration: a strategy for catching up," ZEW Discussion Papers 94-21, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Alexis Cruz-Rodriguez, 2013.
"Choosing and Assessing Exchange Rate Regimes: a Survey of the Literature,"
Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review,
Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 28(2), pages 37-61, October.
- Cruz Rodriguez, Alexis, 2009. "Choosing and assessing exchange rate regimes: A survey of the literature," MPRA Paper 16314, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Demopoulos, George D. & Yannacopoulos, Nicholas A., 2001. "On the optimality of a currency area of a given size," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 17-24, January.
- Ahmed AlKholifey & Ali Alreshan, 2010. "GCC monetary union," IFC Bulletins chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the SARB/IFC seminar on "Economic and financial convergence en route to regional economic integration: experience, prospects and statis, volume 32, pages 17-51 Bank for International Settlements.
- Shu-ki Tsang, 2002. "Optimum Currency Area for Mainland HCina and Hong Kong? Empirical Tests," Working Papers 162002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1995.
"Macroeconomic policy during a transition to monetary union,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20701, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1995. "Macroeconomic Policy During a Transition to Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 1222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- W.H. Buiter, 1995. "Macroeconomic Policy During a Transition to Monetary Union," CEP Discussion Papers dp0261, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Peter Wilson & Keen Meng Choy, 2007.
"Prospects for enhanced exchange rate cooperation in East Asia: some preliminary findings from generalized PPP theory,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 981-995.
- Peter Wilson & Keen Meng Choy, 2006. "Prospects For Enhanced Exchange Rate Cooperation In East Asia : Some Preliminary Findings From Generalized Ppp Theory," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22585, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Peter Wilson & Choy Keen Meng, 2006. "Prospects For Enhanced Exchange Rate Cooperation in East Asia: Some Preliminary Findings from Generalized PPP Theory," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0601, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Michel Beine & FréDéric Docquier, 1998.
"A Stochastic Simulation Model of an Optimum Currency Area,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 229-257, July.
- Michel Beine & Frédéric Docquier, 1998. "A stochastic simulation model of an optimum currency area," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10461, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- George Demopoulos & Nicholas Yannacopoulos, 1999. "Conditions for Optimality of a Currency Area," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 289-303, July.
- Iulia Andreea Bucur, 2011. "EMU – “Optimum” or “Viable” Currency Area?," Studies and Scientific Researches. Economics Edition, "Vasile Alecsandri" University of Bacau, Faculty of Economic Sciences, issue 16-17.
- Kopano Matsaseng, 2008. "Price Flexibility In The Common Monetary Area," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(2), pages 176-188, June.
- Thomas D. Willett, 2001. "The OCA Approach to Exchange Rate Regimes: A Perspective on Recent Developments," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2001-04, Claremont Colleges.
- Monika Blaszkiewicz & Przemyslaw Wozniak, 2003. "Do Candidate Countries Fit the Optimum-Currency-Area Criteria?," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0267, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Kletzer, Kenneth M., 1997. "Macroeconomic stabilization with a common currency: Does European Monetary Unification create a need for fiscal insurance of federalism?," ZEI Working Papers B 04-1997, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Wilson, Peter, 2002. "Prospects for Asian Monetary Cooperation After the Asian Financial Crisis. Pipedream or Possible Reality?," EIJS Working Paper Series 151, Stockholm School of Economics, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Hélène Erkel-Rousse, 1997. "Degré de flexibilité des marchés du travail, ajustement à des chocs asymétriques et union monétaire européenne," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 128(2), pages 79-100.
- Uctum, Merih & Deusy-Fournier, Pierre, 1998. "Le dollar et l’euro : la primauté monétaire de l’Europe a-t-elle une place?," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 74(4), pages 669-694, décembre.
- Schor, Armand-Denis, 2000. "La théorie des zones monétaires optimales : l’optimum, le praticable, le crédible et le réel," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 76(4), pages 545-576, décembre.
- Kenneth M. Kletzer, "undated". "Macroeconomic Stabilization with a Common Currency:," EPRU Working Paper Series 97-22, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsEMU; Exchange Rate Regimes; Fiscal Federalism; Monetary Reform; Optimum Currency Area;
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order and Integration
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:590. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.