An Evaluation Framework for Alternative VaR Models
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Bams, Dennis & Lehnert, Thorsten & Wolff, Christian C.P., 2005. "An evaluation framework for alternative VaR-models," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 944-958, October.
References listed on IDEAS
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann, 1998.
"Horizon problems and extreme events in financial risk management,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 109-118.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann, 1998. "Horizon Problems and Extreme Events in Financial Risk Management," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-16, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Pownall, Rachel A. J. & Koedijk, Kees G., 1999. "Capturing downside risk in financial markets: the case of the Asian Crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 853-870, December.
- Phillipe Lambert & J. K. Lindsey, 1999. "Analysing Financial Returns by Using Regression Models Based on Non-Symmetric Stable Distributions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 48(3), pages 409-424.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 2015. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: THE WORLD SCIENTIFIC HANDBOOK OF FUTURES MARKETS, chapter 3, pages 39-78 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996.
"The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Nicholas Barberis, 2000. "Investing for the Long Run when Returns Are Predictable," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 225-264, February.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2000. "Diagnosing and treating the fat tails in financial returns data," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 389-416, November.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F. & Nelson, Daniel B., 1986. "Arch models," Handbook of Econometrics,in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2959-3038 Elsevier.
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Frey, Rudiger, 2000. "Estimation of tail-related risk measures for heteroscedastic financial time series: an extreme value approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 271-300, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kulp-Tåg, Sofie, 2007. "An Empirical Investigation of Value-at-Risk in Long and Short Trading Positions," Working Papers 526, Hanken School of Economics.
- Hartz, Christoph & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc, 2006. "Accurate value-at-risk forecasting based on the normal-GARCH model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2295-2312, December.
- Silvia Stanescu & Radu Tunaru, 2013. "Quantifying the uncertainty in VaR and expected shortfall estimates," Chapters,in: Handbook of Research Methods and Applications in Empirical Finance, chapter 15, pages 357-372 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- George Kouretas & Leonidas Zarangas, 2005. "Conditional autoregressive valu at risk by regression quantile: Estimatingmarket risk for major stock markets," Working Papers 0521, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Thorsten Lehnert & Gildas Blanchard & Dennis Bams, 2014. "Evaluating Option Pricing Model Performance Using Model Uncertainty," LSF Research Working Paper Series 14-06, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Bams, Dennis & Lehnert, Thorsten & Wolff, Christian C, 2005. "Loss Functions in Option Valuation: A Framework for Model Selection," CEPR Discussion Papers 4960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartz, Christoph & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2006. "Accurate Value-at-Risk forecast with the (good old) normal-GARCH model," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Anastassios A. Drakos & Georgios P. Kouretas & Leonidas P. Zarangas, 2010. "Forecasting financial volatility of the Athens stock exchange daily returns: an application of the asymmetric normal mixture GARCH model," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 331-350.
- Wolfgang Aussenegg & Tatiana Miazhynskaia, 2006. "Uncertainty in Value-at-risk Estimates under Parametric and Non-parametric Modeling," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer;Swiss Society for Financial Market Research, vol. 20(3), pages 243-264, September.
- Samia Omrane, 2012. "An Analysis of Exchange Rate Risk Exposure Related to the Public Debt Portfolio of Tunisia: Beyond VaR Approach," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 59-87, March.
- Amira Akl Ahmed & Doaa Akl Ahmed, 2016. "Modelling Conditional Volatility and Downside Risk for Istanbul Stock Exchange," Working Papers 1028, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 2016.
- repec:bbz:fcpbbr:v:8:y:2011:i:2:p:22-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lehnert, Thorsten & Wolff, Christian C. P., 2004. "Scale-consistent Value-at-Risk," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 127-134, June.
- Basu, Sanjay, 2011. "Comparing simulation models for market risk stress testing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(1), pages 329-339, August.
- Spierdijk, Laura, 2016. "Confidence intervals for ARMA–GARCH Value-at-Risk: The case of heavy tails and skewness," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(C), pages 545-559.
- Angelidis, Timotheos & Degiannakis, Stavros, 2007. "Backtesting VaR Models: A Τwo-Stage Procedure," MPRA Paper 80418, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dennis Bams & Thorsten Lehnert & Christian C. P. Wolff, 2009.
"Loss Functions in Option Valuation: A Framework for Selection,"
INFORMS, vol. 55(5), pages 853-862, May.
- Christian Wolff & Dennis Bams & Thorsten Lehnert, 2008. "Loss Functions in Option Valuation: A Framework for Selection," LSF Research Working Paper Series 08-11, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Nieto, María Rosa & Ruiz, Esther, 2010. "Bootstrap prediction intervals for VaR and ES in the context of GARCH models," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws102814, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Kostas Andriosopoulos & Nikos Nomikos, 2012. "Risk management in the energy markets and Value-at-Risk modelling: a Hybrid approach," RSCAS Working Papers 2012/47, European University Institute.
- repec:eee:intfor:v:33:y:2017:i:4:p:848-863 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timotheos Angelidis & Stavros Degiannakis, 2007. "Backtesting VaR Models: An Expected Shortfall Approach," Working Papers 0701, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
More about this item
Keywordsestimation risk; exchange rate positions; fat tail distributions; financial time series; GARCH; value-at-risk;
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-02-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2003-02-18 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ECM-2003-02-26 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FIN-2003-02-18 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2003-02-18 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2003-02-18 (International Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-02-18 (Risk Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.