A Bargaining Model of Farrell Inefficiency
An enormous number of empirical papers have estimated technical efficiency, the distance of firms inside a frontier, following the model of Farrell (1957). We propose a theory that explains the distance these empirical papers seek to measure. The theory is based on the idea that workers can bargain low ‘effort’ (high crew sizes etc.) if they and the firm have some monopoly power. We provide simple theoretical expressions for the empirical measures of technical and allocative efficiency and compare them to those in the statistical literature. We consider the relation between competition and efficiency and show how the model extends readily to address public sector inefficiency, increasing returns and manager/firm agency problems.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Oswald, 1984.
"Efficient Contracts are on the Labour Demand Curve: Theory and Facts,"
555, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Oswald, Andrew J., 1993. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve : Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 85-113, June.
- Oswald, A. J., 1995. "Efficient contracts are on the labour demand curve: Theory and facts," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 102-102, March.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1997.
"Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19772, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schmidt, Klaus M, 1997. "Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 191-213, April.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996. "Managerial Incentives and Product Market Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1382, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Sanchis, Amparo, 2000.
"A bargaining model of Farrell inefficiency,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 539-556, May.
- George E. Johnson, 1986.
"Work Rules, Featherbedding, and Pareto-Optimal Union Management Bargaining,"
NBER Working Papers
1820, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, George E, 1990. "Work Rules, Featherbedding, and Pareto-optimal Union-Management Bargaining," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S237-59, January.
- Kim C. Border & Uzi Segal, 1997.
"Preferences over Solutions to the Bargaining Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Border, Kim C. & Segal, Uzi, 1995. "Preferences Over Solution to the Bargaining Problem," Working Papers 923, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Border, K.C. & Segal, U., 1995. "Preferences Over Solutions to the Margaining Probem," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9518, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Schmidt, Peter & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1979. "Estimating technical and allocative inefficiency relative to stochastic production and cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 343-366, February.
- Andrews, Martyn & Simmons, Robert, 1995. "Are Effort Bargaining Models Consistent with the Facts? An Assessment of the Early 1980s," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(247), pages 313-34, August.
- Jacobson, Louis S & LaLonde, Robert J & Sullivan, Daniel G, 1993.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 685-709, September.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1992. "Earnings losses of displaced workers," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 92-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Martin Stephen, 1993. "Endogenous Firm Efficiency in a Cournot Principal-Agent Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 445-450, April.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Sanchis, Amparo, 1995.
"Privatisation and X-Inefficiency: A Bargaining Approach,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 301-21, September.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Sanchis, Amparo, 1995. "Privatization and X-Inefficiency: A Bargaining Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 1192, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Caves, 1992. "Industrial Efficiency in Six Nations," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031930, June.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil & Wall, Martin, 1992. "Productivity growth in U.K. companies, 1975-1986," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1055-1085, June.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Horn, Henrik & Lang, Harald & Lundgren, Stefan, 1994.
"Competition, long run contracts and internal inefficiencies in firms,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 213-233, February.
- Horn, H. & Lang, H. & Lundgren, S., 1991. "Competition, Long Run Contracts and Internal Inefficiencies in Firms," Papers 506, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- David Scharfstein, 1988. "Product-Market Competition and Managerial Slack," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 147-155, Spring.
- Green, Alison & Mayes, David, 1991. "Technical Inefficiency in Manufacturing Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 523-38, May.
- Muellbauer, John, 1984. "Aggregate Production Functions and Productivity Measurement: A New Look," CEPR Discussion Papers 34, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel G. Sullivan, 1993. "Long-term earnings losses of high-seniority displaced workers," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Nov, pages 2-20.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.