The effect of corporate taxes on investment and the capital stock
This paper analyses the effect of the corporate tax rate on the cost of capital and investment through two different channels. The first one concerns the fairly standard change in the user cost of capital, which determines a firm's optimal capital stock given that the firm is located in the Netherlands. The paper demonstrates that a reduction in the corporate tax rate reduces the user cost of capital because cost of capital is not fully deductible. The second channel deals with the direct effect of corporate taxation on profits. If capital is sufficiently mobile, the after tax profit margin cannot be affected by the corporate tax rate in equilibrium. Therefore, a rise in the corporate tax rate must be compensated by a compensating rise in the markup. We have assumed that only 35% actually be established. To get a feel for the quantitative effects of these two channels, they have been incorporated into the JADE model, the econometric macro model of CPB. The results suggest that only considering the user cost of capital approach ignores an important aspect of the impact of a change in corporate taxation
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joeri Gorter & A. Parikh, 2000. "How mobile is capital within the European Union?," CPB Research Memorandum 172, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1983.
"Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 905-40, September.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982. "Taxation, Corporate Financial Policy and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 1026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brock, William A & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1981. "The Analysis of Macroeconomic Policies in Perfect Foresight Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 179-209, February.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-76543 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-383721 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpb:memodm:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.