An infinitary probability logic for type spaces
Type spaces in the sense of Harsanyi (1967/68) can be considered as the probabilistic analog of Kripke structures. By an infinitary propositional language with additional operators "individual i assigns probability at least to" and infinitary inference rules, we axiomatize the class of (Harsanyi) type spaces. We show that our axiom system is strongly sound and strongly complete. To the best of our knowledge, this is the very first strong completeness theorem for a probability logic of the present kind. The result is proved by constructing a canonical type space.
|Date of creation:||00 Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heifetz, Aviad & Samet, Dov, 1999. "Coherent beliefs are not always types," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 475-488, December.
- A. Heifetz & Ph. Mongin, 1998.
"Probability logic for type spaces,"
THEMA Working Papers
98-25, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Heifetz, Aviad, 1993. "The Bayesian Formulation of Incomplete Information--The Non-compact Case," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 21(4), pages 329-338.
- Adam Brandenburger & Eddie Dekel, 2014.
"Hierarchies of Beliefs and Common Knowledge,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: The Language of Game Theory Putting Epistemics into the Mathematics of Games, chapter 2, pages 31-41
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert J. Aumann, 1999. "Interactive epistemology I: Knowledge," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 28(3), pages 263-300.
- Heifetz, Aviad & Samet, Dov, 1998. "Knowledge Spaces with Arbitrarily High Rank," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 260-273, February.
- MERTENS , Jean-François & SORIN , Sylvain & ZAMIR , Shmuel, 1994. "Repeated Games. Part A : Background Material," CORE Discussion Papers 1994020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heifetz, Aviad & Samet, Dov, 1998.
"Topology-Free Typology of Beliefs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 324-341, October.
- Robert J. Aumann, 1999. "Interactive epistemology II: Probability," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 28(3), pages 301-314.
- Ronald Fagin & Joseph Y. Halpern & Yoram Moses & Moshe Y. Vardi, 2003. "Reasoning About Knowledge," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262562006, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2001061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.