Consequences of omitting relevant inputs on the quality of the data envelopment analysis under different input correlation structures
This paper establishes the consequences of a wrong specification on the quality of the data envelopment analysis. Specifically, the case of omitting a relevant variable in the input oriented problem is analyzed when there are different correlation structures between the inputs. It is established that the correlation matrix gives relevant information about the homogeneity of the decision making units and the intensity of inputs used in the production process. The methodology is based on a series of Monte Carlo simulations and the quality of the data envelopment analysis is measured as the difference between the true efficiency and the efficiency calculated. It is found that omitting relevant inputs causes inconsistency, and this problem is worse when there is a negative correlation structure.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1985. " Nonparametric Cost Approach to Scale Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(4), pages 594-604.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & E. Rhodes, 1981. "Evaluating Program and Managerial Efficiency: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis to Program Follow Through," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(6), pages 668-697, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Huang, Z. M. & Sun, D. B., 1990. "Polyhedral Cone-Ratio DEA Models with an illustrative application to large commercial banks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 73-91.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000122:010627. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Centro de Investigaciones Económicas y Financieras (CIEF))
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.