Does Reinsurance Need Reinsurers?
The reinsurance market is the secondary market for insurance risks. It has a very specific organization. Direct insurers do not trade risks with each other. They cede part of their primarily underwritten portfolios mainly to professional reinsurers with no direct business. This paper offers a model of equilibrium in reinsurance and capital markets where professional reinsurers arise naturally to monitor primary insurers. The interplay of financing and reinsurance decisions facing primary insurers is also explicitly modelled. The predictions are broadly in line with empirical evidence from the reinsurance market.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/
|Order Information:||Web: http://student-3k.tepper.cmu.edu/gsiadoc/GSIA_WP.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector,"
95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and the Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-91, August.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Neil Doherty & Kent Smetters, 2005.
"Moral Hazard in Reinsurance Markets,"
Journal of Risk & Insurance,
The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(3), pages 375-391.
- Doherty, N A & Tinic, S M, 1981. "Reinsurance under Conditions of Capital Market Equilibrium: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 949-53, September.
- Innes, Robert D., 1990. "Limited liability and incentive contracting with ex-ante action choices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 45-67, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cmu:gsiawp:1108152504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Steve Spear)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.