Does Reinsurance Need Reinsurers?
The reinsurance market is the secondary market for insurance risks. It has a very specific organization. Direct insurers do not trade risks with each other. They cede part of their primarily underwritten portfolios mainly to professional reinsurers with no direct business. This paper offers a model of equilibrium in reinsurance and capital markets where professional reinsurers arise naturally to monitor primary insurers. The interplay of financing and reinsurance decisions facing primary insurers is also explicitly modelled. The predictions are broadly in line with empirical evidence from the reinsurance market.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890|
Web page: http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/
|Order Information:||Web: http://student-3k.tepper.cmu.edu/gsiadoc/GSIA_WP.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Innes, Robert D., 1990. "Limited liability and incentive contracting with ex-ante action choices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 45-67, October.
- Neil Doherty & Kent Smetters, 2002.
"Moral Hazard in Reinsurance Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
9050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and The Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-691.
- Doherty, N A & Tinic, S M, 1981. "Reinsurance under Conditions of Capital Market Equilibrium: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 949-53, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cmu:gsiawp:1108152504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Steve Spear)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.