Appropriation and Efficiency: A Revision of the First Theorem of Welfare Economics
The first theorem of welfare economics rests on the assumption that individuals have neither price-making nor market-making capacities. The authors offer a revision in which individuals have such capacities. The revision emphasizes two keys for market efficiency: the need to align private rewards with social contributions--called full appropriation--and the need for an assumption to counter the possibility of coordination failures in the choice of produced commodities--called noncomplementarity. The authors also emphasize that information about prices of unmarketed commodities involves decentralized knowledge available only to product innovators and that pecuniary externalities are important potential sources of market failure. Copyright 1995 by American Economic Association.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Groves, Theodore, 1973. "Incentives in Teams," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 617-31, July.
- Vives, X., 1988.
"Nash Equilibrium With Strategic Complementarities,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
107-88, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ostroy, Joseph M., 1980.
"The no-surplus condition as a characterization of perfectly competitive equilibrium,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 183-207, April.
- Joseph M. Ostroy, 1978. "The No-Surplus Condition as a Characterization of Perfectly Competitive Equilibrium," UCLA Economics Working Papers 139, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Joseph M. Ostroy, 1977. "The No-Surplus Condition as a Characterization of Perfectly Competitive Equilibrium," UCLA Economics Working Papers 090, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Makowski, Louis & Ostroy, Joseph M., 1987.
"Vickrey-Clarke-Groves mechanisms and perfect competition,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 244-261, August.
- Louis Makowski & Joseph M. Ostroy, 1984. "Vickrey-Clarke-Groves Mechanisms and Perfect Competition," UCLA Economics Working Papers 333, UCLA Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cla:levarc:1386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David K. Levine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.