The Effect of Bidding Information in Ascending Auctions
We study the effect of the drop out and reenter information in an environment where bidders' values involve both private and common value components. We find that (1) providing bidding information does not have a significant effect on expected revenue and expected efficiency. (2) The effect of information on winner's expected profit depends on the range of uncertainty of the common value component and the level of Nash profit prediction, which the auctioneer has no a priori knowledge. In our environment, where bidders have a private component to their value and the auction takes place in ascending clock format, (3) bidders do not suffer from the winner's curse when information is not provided. (4) Information substantially increases the variability of revenue and winner?s profit when the range of uncertainty of the common value component is large. (5) Bidders? response to information depends on the range of uncertainty.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (714) 628-2830
Fax: (714) 628-2881
Web page: http://www.chapman.edu/esi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mikoucheva, Anna & Sonin, Konstantin, 2004.
"Information revelation and efficiency in auctions,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 277-284, June.
- Mikusheva, Anna & Sonin, Konstantin, 2002. "Information Revelation and Efficiency in Auctions," CEPR Discussion Papers 3675, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anna Mikusheva & Konstantin Sonin, 2002. "Information Revelation and Efficiency in Auctions," Working Papers w0021, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1996. "Analyzing the Airwaves Auction," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 159-175, Winter.
- Kirchkamp, Oliver & Moldovanu, Benny, 2000.
"An experimental analysis of auctions with interdependent valuations,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
00-10, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Kirchkamp, Oliver & Moldovanu, Benny, 2004. "An experimental analysis of auctions with interdependent valuations," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 54-85, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chu:wpaper:11-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Megan Luetje)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.