Dinámica de Precios en Chile: Evidencia con datos de Supermercados
In this paper we use a new weekly database of scanner-level prices for the Chilean economy to characterize the price-setting behavior in the supermarket industry. This period corresponds to an episode of relatively high inflation marked by a boom and a subsequent bust (from July 2007 to July 2009). Results show that prices have an average duration slightly greater than two weeks and that price changes are more frequent in Chilean supermarket than in those of other countries. Besides, changes are smaller in absolute value and price change distributions are roughly symmetric. We also find a positive and robust correlation between the absolute size of price changes and price duration. In addition, an inflation variance decomposition exercise shows that price variability is mainly explained by price change variability. Altogether, this evidence points toward a time-dependent pricing behavior in Chilean supermarkets.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loreto Lira & Magdalena Ugarte & Rodrigo Vergara., 2008.
"Prices and Market Structure: An Empirical Analysis of the Supermarket Industry in Chile,"
Documentos de Trabajo
346, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Loreto Lira & Magdalena Ugarte & Rodrigo Vergara, 2012. "Prices and market structure: an empirical analysis of the supermarket industry in Chile," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(36), pages 4731-4744, December.
- Silvia Fabiani & Angela Gattulli & Roberto Sabbatini & Giovanni Veronese, 2006.
"Consumer Price Setting in Italy,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 65(1), pages 31-74, May.
- Sergio Rebelo & Nir Jaimovich & Martin Eichenbaum, 2010.
"Reference Prices and Nominal Rigidities,"
2010 Meeting Papers
1049, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Eichenbaum, Martin & Jaimovich, Nir & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2008. "Reference Prices and Nominal Rigidities," CEPR Discussion Papers 6709, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Eichenbaum & Nir Jaimovich & Sergio Rebelo, 2008. "Reference Prices and Nominal Rigidities," NBER Working Papers 13829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oleksiy Kryvtsov & Peter J. Klenow, 2004.
"State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter For Recent U.S. Inflation?,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
277, Society for Computational Economics.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2008. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does it Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(3), pages 863-904.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2005. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," Staff Working Papers 05-4, Bank of Canada.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2005. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does it Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," NBER Working Papers 11043, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter J. Klenow & Oleksiy Kryvtsov, 2007. "State-Dependent or Time-Dependent Pricing: Does It Matter for Recent U.S. Inflation?," Discussion Papers 07-007, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Emmanuel Dhyne & Luis J. Alvarez & Herve Le Bihan & Giovanni Veronese & Daniel Dias & Johannes Hoffmann & Nicole Jonker & Patrick Lunnemann & Fabio Rumler & Jouko Vilmunen, 2006. "Price Changes in the Euro Area and the United States: Some Facts from Individual Consumer Price Data," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 171-192, Spring.
- Gastón Chaumont & Miguel Fuentes & Felipe Labbé & Alberto Naudon, 2011.
"A Reassessment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
641, Central Bank of Chile.
- Gastón Chaumont & Miguel Fuentes & Felipe Labbé & Alberto Naudón, 2011. "A Reassesment of Flexible Price Evidence Using Scanner Data: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 632, Central Bank of Chile.
- Emi Nakamura, 2008.
"Pass-Through in Retail and Wholesale,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 430-37, May.
- Juan Pablo Medina G. & David Rappoport W. & Claudio Soto G., 2007.
"Dynamics of Price Adjustments: Evidence From Micro Level Data For Chile,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 10(2), pages 5-26, August.
- Juan Pablo Medina & David Rappoport & Claudio Soto, 2007. "Dynamics of Price Adjustments: Evidence From Micro Level Data for Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 432, Central Bank of Chile.
- Alberto Cavallo, 2015. "Scraped Data and Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 21490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellis, Colin, 2009. "Do supermarket prices change from week to week?," Bank of England working papers 378, Bank of England.
- Klenow, Peter J. & Malin, Benjamin A., 2010.
"Microeconomic Evidence on Price-Setting,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 6, pages 231-284
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:642. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.