Monetary Integration in the Southern Cone: Mercosur is Not Like the EU?
Evaluating the costs and benefits of exchange rate stability requires a somewhat different approach for Mercosur than for the EU. EU member countries are highly integrated in terms of trade in goods and services. By contrast, trade integration within Mercosur is much more limited, intra-area exchange rates are thus less important than the exchange rate vis-à-vis the dollar and the euro. This contribution analyses the impact of both aspects of financial volatility (exchange rate and interest rate volatility) on investment and labor markets in the Southern Cone, finding that both exchange rate variability (mainly against the dollar and the euro) and (domestic) interest rate volatility have a significant dampening impact on employment and investment, as predicted by our theoretical model.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ansgar Belke & Daniel Gros, 2001. "Real Impacts of Intra-European Exchange Rate Variability: A Case for EMU?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 231-264, July.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart, 2001.
"What Hurts Most? G-3 Exchange Rate or Interest Rate Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
8535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent Raymond Reinhart, 2002. "What Hurts Emerging Markets Most? G3 Exchange Rate or Interest Rate Volatility?," NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 133-170 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 2001. "What hurts most?: G-3 exchange rate or interest rate volatility," MPRA Paper 14098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 2002.
"Una banda cambiaria en el G–3 ¿Es lo mejor para los mercados emergentes?
[Is a G-3 Target Zone on Target for Emerging Markets?]," MPRA Paper 13694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 2000. "What does a G-3 target zone mean for emerging-market economies?," MPRA Paper 14099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fixing for Your Life,"
NBER Working Papers
8006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darby, Julia, et al, 1999.
"The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C55-67, March.
- Julia Darby & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Jonathan Ireland & Laura Piscitelli, . "The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment," ICMM Discussion Papers 49, Department of Economics University of Strathclyde.
- Darby, Julia & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ireland, Jonathan & Piscitelli, Laura, 1998. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Uncertainty on the Level of Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1896, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1995.
"The Effects of Irreversibility and Uncertainty on Capital Accumulation,"
NBER Working Papers
5363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abel, Andrew B. & Eberly, Janice C., 1999. "The effects of irreversibility and uncertainty on capital accumulation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 339-377, December.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice B. Eberly, . "The Effects of Irreversibility and Uncertainty on Capital Accumulation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 21-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002.
"An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Pedro Portugal & Olivier Blanchard, 2001. "What Hides Behind an Unemployment Rate: Comparing Portuguese and U.S. Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 187-207, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.