Does Incorporation Matter? Quantifying the Welfare Loss of Non-Uniform Taxation across Sectors
According to Harberger’s 1962 and 1966 seminal papers, the corporate income tax distorts the allocation of capital between the corporate and the non-corporate sector and reduces therefore aggregate output. To quantify this efficiency loss we apply a dynamic, computable, general equilibrium growth model. We compare the allocation of capital under the current, non-uniform German tax system with the allocation of capital arising from a hypothetical, sector neutral tax system where both sectors face the same effective tax burden. Our numerical results underpin the theoretical finding, that the loss in overall output is highly sensitive to the source of investment funds. Accordingly, if investments are exclusively financed via new share issues the efficiency loss amounts to nearly 2 percent of aggregate output. However, if less than half of overall investments are financed via new equity injections the efficiency loss is almost negligible.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin D. Dietz & Christian Keuschnigg, 2004.
"Corporate Income Tax Reform in Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(IV), pages 483-519, December.
- Martin D. Dietz & Christian Keuschnigg, 2003. "Corporate Income Tax Reform in Switzerland," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003 2003-07, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Roger H. Gordon & Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason, 1992.
"Tax Distortions to the Choice of Organizational Form,"
NBER Working Papers
4227, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H. & MacKie-Mason, Jeffrey K., 1994. "Tax distortions to the choice of organizational form," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 279-306, October.
- Gordon, R.H. & Mackie-Mason, J.K., 1993. "Tax Distorsions to the Choice of Organizational Form," Memorandum 21/1993, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Roger H. Gordon & Jeffrey K. MacKie--Mason, 1994. "Tax Distortions to the Choice of Organizational Form," Public Economics 9401004, EconWPA, revised 18 Jan 1994.
- Jeffrey MacKie-Mason, 1988.
"Do Taxes Affect Corporate Financing Decisions?,"
NBER Working Papers
2632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McLure, Charles Jr., 1975. "General equilibrium incidence analysis : The Harberger model after ten years," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 125-161, February.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1990.
"Taxation and the Cost of Capital: The "Old" View, the "New" View and Another View,"
NBER Working Papers
3501, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1991. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital: The "Old" View, the "New" View, and Another View," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 25-54 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mackie-Mason, Jeffrey K & Gordon, Roger H, 1997.
" How Much Do Taxes Discourage Incorporation?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 477-505, June.
- Hermann, Rico A. & Spengel, Christoph & Jacobs, Otto H. & Stetter, Thorsten, 2003. "Steueroptimale Rechtsformwahl: Personengesellschaften besser als Kapitalgesellschaften," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-30, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gravelle, Jane G & Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1993. "Corporate Tax Incidence and Inefficiency When Corporate and Noncorporate Goods Are Close Substitutes," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(4), pages 501-516, October.
- Gravelle, Jane G & Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1989.
"The Incidence and Efficiency Costs of Corporate Taxation When Corporate and Noncorporate Firms Produce the Same Good,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 749-780, August.
- Jane G. Gravelle & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1987. "The Incidence and Efficiency Costs of Corporate Taxation when Corporate and Noncorporate Firms Produce the Same Good," NBER Working Papers 2462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.