Financial system, innovation and regional development: a study on the relationship between liquidity preference and innovation in Brazil
This paper discusses and assesses the features of the Brazilian Financial System, as well as the impacts of Liquidity Preference on Credit and Regional Development in Brazil. Precisely, we test the relationship between credit and development, and the role of banks in regional development. We estimate a panel across states in Brazil in order to test the impact of liquidity preference and other financial variables on Brazilian states credit level. We have also tested the relationship between liquidity preference and other financial variables across states and the number of patents, aiming at testing the importance of technology and innovation on regional development by means of bank system. Conclusions confirm both hypotheses.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Fax: +55 31 3201-3657
Web page: http://www.cedeplar.ufmg.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cedeplar-FACE-UFMG Av. Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG 31270-901 Brazil|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Crocco & Anderson Cavalcante & Cláudio Barra, 2006. "The behavior of liquidity preference of banks and public and regional development: the case of Brazil," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(2), pages 217-240, January.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1989. "Financial Markets and Development," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 55-68, Winter.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Almeida, Daniel B. de Castro & Jayme Jr., Frederico G., 2008. "Bank consolidation and credit concentration in Brazil (1995-2004)," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
- Eduardo da Motta e Albuquerque, 2007. "Inadequacy of technology and innovation systems at the periphery," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(5), pages 669-690, September.
- Sheila Dow & Carlos Rodriguez-Fuentes, 1997. "Regional Finance: A Survey," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 903-920. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdp:texdis:td357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Britto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.