Opportunities, Race, and Urban Location: the Influence of John Kain
No economist studying the spatial economy of urban areas today would ignore the effects of race on housing markets and labor market opportunities, but this was not always the case. John Kain developed much of urban economics but, more importantly, legitimized and encouraged scholarly consideration of the geography of racial opportunities. His provocative study of the linkage between housing segregation and the labor market opportunities of Blacks arose from his work on employment decentralization and constraints on Black residential choice. His later research program on school outcomes was similarly focused in how the economic opportunities of minority households vary with location. John Kainâ€™s scientific work forms a legacy linked by the study of the urban disadvantaged.
|Date of creation:||16 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: F502 Haas, Berkeley CA 94720-1922|
Phone: (510) 642-1922
Fax: (510) 642-5018
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/iber_bphup/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kain, John F & Quigley, John Michael, 1972. "Housing Market Discrimination, Homeownership, and Savings Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 263-77, June.
- John F. Kain & John M. Quigley, 1975. "Housing Markets and Racial Discrimination: A Microeconomic Analysis," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kain75-1.
- Gregory K. Ingram & John F. Kain & J. Royce Ginn, 1972. "The Detroit Prototype of the NBER Urban Simulation Model," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ingr72-1.
- John F. Kain, 1968. "Housing Segregation, Negro Employment, and Metropolitan Decentralization," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 82(2), pages 175-197.
- Harrison, David Jr. & Kain, John F., 1974. "Cumulative urban growth and urban density functions," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 61-98, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:bphupl:qt8798t4jv. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.