Optimal Management of Durable Pollution
This paper studies an incompletely informed regulator's problem of inducing a firm producing durable pollution to adopt a socially optimal pollution storage technology. We construct a sparse, yet flexible, theoretical model that can be applied directly to concrete situations as it is stated explicitly in terms of statistical parameters. Next, we show the existence of an optimal regulatory contract and examine its qualitative features for one of the many regulatory problems suggested by the general model. Our model extends the standard inventory model by making the firm's storage technology a strategic choice induced by the regulatory contract. Moreover, by providing a structural model of the firm, our model generates useful information that has to be assumed in an abstract regulatory model.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Delhi 110 007|
Phone: (011) 27667005
Fax: (011) 27667159
Web page: http://www.cdedse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cdedse.org/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. C. D'Arge & K. C. Kogiku, 1973. "Economic Growth and the Environment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 61-77.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Taylor, Allison J., 1978. "Optimal control of a Brownian storage system," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 179-194, January.
- Xepapadeas, A. P., 1992. "Environmental policy, adjustment costs, and behavior of the firm," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 258-275, November.
- Mark Bagnoli & Ted Bergstrom, 2005.
"Log-concave probability and its applications,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(2), pages 445-469, August.
- Bagnoli, M. & Bergstrom, T., 1989. "Log-Concave Probability And Its Applications," Papers 89-23, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- C. G. Plourde, 1972. "A Model of Waste Accumulation and Disposal," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 5(1), pages 119-125, February.
- Keeler, Emmett & Spence, Michael & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1972. "The optimal control of pollution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 19-34, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.