Collateral, Financial Arrangements and Pareto Optimality
The existence of collateral requirements to guarantee repayment on issued securities reduces in general the efficiency of competitive equilibria. The general equilibrium analysis is presented in a world where reputation plays no role, and the lender always expects a future payment equal to the future market value of provided collateral. In this context I show that collateral requirements result in two distinct problems for efficiency. I argue that two financial arrangements, tranching and financial pyramiding, arise in developed capital markets in response to the challenges posed by collateral requirements. If these arrangements are sufficiently developed, then the pareto efficiency of competitive equilibria is restored, even in the presence of collateral requirements.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Cass & Menahem E. Yaari, 1966.
"A Re-examination of the Pure Consumption Loans Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 353.
- David Cass & Menahem E. Yaari, 1965. "A Re-Examination of the Pure Consumption Loans Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 195, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988.
"Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990. "Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wpaper:64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.