A General Behavioural Model of Random Choice
We develop and study a stochastic eliminative choice procedure, called choice by random checklist (CRC). On the one hand CRC extends the idea of Tversky's Elimination by Aspects (EBA) to explain, for example, stochastically intransitive choices. On the other hand a special case of CRC is equivalent to random utility maximisation (RUM). In this way we bring within a single formal framework two leading random choice models in economics and in psychology, which are otherwise difficult to relate. Unlike EBA, which is defined recursively, we give an explicit formula for the choice probabilites in a CRC. We show that a CRC satisfies Monotonicity (extending a result of Sattath and Tversky ). We define new testable properties, Stochastic WARP and the Probabilistic Inequality, that are satisfied by CRC (and so, in particular, by a RUM).
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.carloalberto.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Mandler & Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2008.
"A Million Answers to Twenty Questions: Choosing by Checklist,"
622, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Mandler, Michael & Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2012. "A million answers to twenty questions: Choosing by checklist," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 71-92.
- Mandler, Michael & Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2008. "A Million Answers to Twenty Questions: Choosing by Checklist," IZA Discussion Papers 3377, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Faruk Gul & Paulo Natenzon & Wolfgang Pesendorfer, 2014. "Random Choice as Behavioral Optimization," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 82, pages 1873-1912, 09.
- McFadden, Daniel L., 2000.
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
2000-6, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Barbera, Salvador & Pattanaik, Prasanta K, 1986. "Falmagne and the Rationalizability of Stochastic Choices in Terms of Random Orderings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 707-15, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cca:wpaper:237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Bert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.