The Impact of the Estate Tax on Capital Gains Realizations: Evidence from the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997: Working Paper 2010-08
This study investigates the effects of the estate tax on decisions to realize capital gains. It identifies the effects on realization decisions through the changes in the estate tax exemption level introduced by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA97). Using data from the Survey of Consumer Finance (SCF), the analysis focuses on changes in capital gains realization by households that were affected by an increase in the estate tax exemption level. Applying the generalized Tobit procedure that corrects for sample selection and endogeneity in tax variables, the study finds that those households
|Date of creation:||23 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Second and D Streets, SW, Washington, DC 20515|
Web page: http://www.cbo.gov
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Winship & Larry Radbill, 1994. "Sampling Weights and Regression Analysis," Sociological Methods & Research, SAGE Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 230-257, November.
- Auten, Gerald & Joulfaian, David, 2001. "Bequest taxes and capital gains realizations," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 213-229, August.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Maddala, G S & Trost, R P, 1980. "Asymptotic Covariance Matrices of Two-Stage Probit and Two-Stage Tobit Methods for Simultaneous Equations Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 491-503, March.
- Hurd, Michael D, 1990. "Research on the Elderly: Economic Status, Retirement, and Consumption and Saving," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 565-637, June.
- Auten, Gerald E. & Burman, Leonard E. & Randolph, William C., 1989. "Estimation and Interpretation of Capital Gains Realization Behavior: Evidence from Panel Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(3), pages 353-74, September.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Robert J. Lemke & John Karl Scholz, 2001.
"Do Estate and Gift Taxes Affect the Timing of Private Transfers?,"
NBER Working Papers
8333, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernheim, B. Douglas & Lemke, Robert J. & Scholz, John Karl, 2004. "Do estate and gift taxes affect the timing of private transfers?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2617-2634, December.
- Burman, Leonard E & Randolph, William C, 1994. "Measuring Permanent Responses to Capital-Gains Tax Changes in Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 794-809, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbo:wpaper:21941. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.