Mergers and the limited liability effect
This paper analyzes the effects of mergers in a homogenous product market with uncertainty over demand, fixed costs, and limited liability debt financing. On the one hand, given the limited liability e.ect, merging parties compete more aggressively and mergers that were unprofitable in absence of any debt obligation may become beneficial. On the other hand, socially advantageous mergers may be unprofitable for the colluding firms. In these cases, public intervention is needed. One possibility consists on subsidizing such mergers. However, it is proved that the combination of limited liability debt financing and an appropriate antitrust policy leads to higher social welfare than subsidies.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Gordon M., 1995. "Increased debt and industry product markets An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 189-238, February.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "Diversification, Portfolio Analysis and the Uneasy Case for Conglomerate Mergers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 795-802, September.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Chevalier, Judith A, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product-Market Competition: Empirical Evidence from the Supermarket Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 415-35, June.
- Albert Banal-Estañol & Marco Ottaviani, 2006.
"Mergers with Product Market Risk,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 577-608, 09.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2003:i:3:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1971. "A Pure Financial Rationale for the Conglomerate Merger," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 521-37, May.
- Glazer Jacob, 1994. "The Strategic Effects of Long-Term Debt in Imperfect Competition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 428-443, April.
- Poitevin, M., 1987.
"Strategic Financial Signalling,"
Cahiers de recherche
8755, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Krishnendu Dastidar, 2003. "Oligopoly and financial structure revisited," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(3), pages 1-12.
- Kolstad, Charles D & Mathiesen, Lars, 1987. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Uniqueness of a Cournot Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 681-90, October.
- Showalter, Dean, 1999. "Strategic debt: evidence in manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 319-333, April.
- Javier Campos, 2000. "Responsabilidad limitada, estructura financiera y comportamiento de las empresas españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(3), pages 585-610, September.
- Showalter, Dean M, 1995. "Oligopoly and Financial Structure: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 647-53, June.
- Brown, Murray & Chiang, Shin-Hwan, 2002. "Unsystematic risk and coalition formation in product markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 313-338, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:can:series:2004-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Santana)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.