Welchen Einfluss hat die Wohnumgebung auf die Grundschulwahl von Eltern? Analysen zur Bedeutung von kontextuellen und familiären Merkmalen auf das Wahlverhalten
In 2008, school districts were abolished in North Rhine-Westphalia. The paper focuses on the question whether neighborhood characteristics have an influence on the school choice behavior of parents with different socioeconomic and cultural resources. The analysis is based on data of a telephone survey of N = 1576 parents combined with data from school statistics and official statistics. The results indicate that the relationship between choice behavior and cultural and socioeconomic resources of parents is stronger in socially deprived neighborhoods than in privileged neighborhoods. However, there is only weak evidence for the hypothesis that the neighborhood influences the underlying subjective motives of parental school choice.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hastings, Justine S. & Kane, Thomas J. & Staiger, Douglas O., 2005.
"Parental Preferences and School Competition: Evidence from a Public School Choice Program,"
10, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Justine S. Hastings & Thomas J. Kane & Douglas O. Staiger, 2005. "Parental Preferences and School Competition: Evidence from a Public School Choice Program," NBER Working Papers 11805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schneider, Kerstin & Schuchart, Claudia & Weishaupt, Horst & Riedel, Andrea, 2012. "The effect of free primary school choice on ethnic groups — Evidence from a policy reform," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 430-444.
- Kerstin Schneider & Claudia Schuchart & Horst Weishaupt & Andrea Riedel, 2011. "The effect of free primary school choice on ethnic groups – Evidence from a policy reform," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp11007, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Andrea Riedel & Kerstin Schneider & Claudia Schuchart & Horst Weishaupt, 2009. "School Choice in German Primary Schools: How binding are school districts?," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp09011, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Robert Bifulco & Helen F. Ladd & Stephen Ross, 2007. "Public School Choice and Integration: Evidence from Durham, North Carolina," Working papers 2007-41, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2008.
- Robert Bifulco & Helen F. Ladd & Stephen Ross, 2008. "Public School Choice and Integration: Evidence from Durham, North Carolina," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 109, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Simon Burgess & Brendon McConnell & Carol Propper & Deborah Wilson, 2004. "Sorting and Choice in English Secondary Schools," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 04/111, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Justine S. Hastings & Thomas J. Kane & Douglas O. Staiger, 2006. "Preferences and Heterogeneous Treatment Effects in a Public School Choice Lottery," NBER Working Papers 12145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bwu:schdps:sdp11009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.