A Note on Financial Frictions and Risky Corporate Debt in Relation to Cooley and Quadrini (2001)
We o¤er clari?cations on Cooley-Quadrini (2001) as regards ?nancial frictions and risky corporate-debt pricing. Even in a frictionless world, the promised rate on corpo- rate debt is not identical across ?rms and across capital structures and it is not equal to the risk-free market interest rate. Frictions are unnecessary for credit spreads to arise. Only with risk-neutrality at the macro-level do interest rates on corporate debt re?ect default-probabilities and in general, assuming that lenders set interest rates re- ?ecting their personal risk-neutrality systematically biases promised rates relative to market-based rates. To the extent that the ?rm?s entire ?nancial structure is traded in ?nancial markets, this bias introduces an exploitable arbitrage opportunity.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Vincenzo Quadrini, 1999.
"Financial Markets and Firm Dynamics,"
99-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:wpaper:wp2006-017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.