A Differential Game with Investment in Transport and Communication R&D
We analyse R&D activity in transport and communication technology (TCRD) in a different game where firms compete, alternatively, in quantities or pricies. Transport and communications costs are of the iceberg type. Firms invest in the TCRD to increase the net amount of the product that reaches consumers. We derive subgame perfect equilibria, and show that price competetion yealds the socially optimal investment, while Cournot competition involves excess investment and lower outputs.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982.
"Strategic Commitment with R&D: The Symmetric Case,"
516, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1996.
"Horizontal and vertical differentiation: The Launhardt model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 485-506, June.
- Dos Santos Ferreira, R. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Horizontal and vertical differentiation: The Launhardt model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1216, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Lambertini & G. Rossini, 2001.
"Investment in transport and communication technology in a cournot duopoly with trade,"
407, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Lambertini, Luca & Rossini, Gianpaolo, 2006. "Investment in transport and communication technology in a Cournot duopoly with trade," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 221-229, March.
- L. Lambertini & A. Mantovani & G. Rossini, 2001. "R&D in transport and comunication in a Cournot duopoly," Working Papers 401, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:466. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.