Competition and Efficiencyin health care: an analysis of the Italian case
In this paper we look at the Italian NationalHealth System as a case study, in order to investigate whethercompetition exerts positive effects on the efficiency of hospitals.Using the DEA technique we measure the efficiency of Italianhospital production; secondly, we take a regression analysisapproach to analyse its determinants. A general conclusion stemmingout of the analysis is that competition is not a value per seand that its effects on hospitals' performance are affected bythe rules governing the health system. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael & Tambour, Magnus & Rehnberg, Clas, 1998.
"Internal Markets and Health Care Efficiency: A Multiple-Output Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
222, Stockholm School of Economics.
- U.-G. Gerdtham & M. Löthgren & M. Tambour & C. Rehnberg, 1999. "Internal markets and health care efficiency: a multiple-output stochastic frontier analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 151-164.
- James F. Burgess, Jr. & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Hospital Ownership and Technical Inefficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 110-123, January.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A., 1988. "The effects of hospital competition and the Medicare PPS program on hospital cost behavior in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Eulália Dalmau-Atarrodona & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Market Structure and Hospital Efficiency: Evaluating Potential Effects of Deregulation in a National Health Service," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 447-466, August.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:110:y:1995:i:4:p:1127-70 is not listed on IDEAS
- David W. Kalisch & Tetsuya Aman & Libbie A. Buchele, 1998. "Social and Health Policies in OECD Countries: A Survey of Current Programmes and Recent Developments," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 33, OECD Publishing.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998. "Health Care System Effects on Cost Efficiency in the OECD Countries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 247, Stockholm School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:354. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.