Competition and Efficiency in health care: an analysis of the Italian case
In this paper, we look at the Italian National Health System as a case study, in order to investigate whether competition exerts positive effect on the efficiency of the system. Using the DEA technique we measure the efficiency of accredited hospital production at the regional level; secondly, we take a cross-section regression analysis approach to analyse the determinants of efficiency. A general conclusion stemming out of the analysis is that competition is not a value per se and that its effects on the performance of the system are affected by the rules governing it.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Cellini & Giacomo Pignataro & Ilde Rizzo, 2000.
"Competition and Efficiency in Health Care: An Analysis of the Italian Case,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(4), pages 503-519, August.
- R. Cellini & G. Pignataro & I. Rizzo, 1999. "Competition and Efficiency in health care: an analysis of the Italian case," Working Papers 354, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998. "Health Care System Effects on Cost Efficiency in the OECD Countries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 247, Stockholm School of Economics.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- U.-G. Gerdtham & M. Löthgren & M. Tambour & C. Rehnberg, 1999. "Internal markets and health care efficiency: a multiple-output stochastic frontier analysis," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(2), pages 151-164.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Löthgren, Mickael & Tambour, Magnus & Rehnberg, Clas, 1998. "Internal Markets and Health Care Efficiency: A Multiple-Output Stochastic Frontier Analysis," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 222, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Zwanziger, Jack & Melnick, Glenn A., 1988. "The effects of hospital competition and the Medicare PPS program on hospital cost behavior in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 301-320, December.
- Eulália Dalmau-Atarrodona & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 1998. "Market Structure and Hospital Efficiency: Evaluating Potential Effects of Deregulation in a National Health Service," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(4), pages 447-466, August.
- David W. Kalisch & Tetsuya Aman & Libbie A. Buchele, 1998. "Social and Health Policies in OECD Countries: A Survey of Current Programmes and Recent Developments," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 33, OECD Publishing.
- James F. Burgess, Jr. & Paul W. Wilson, 1996. "Hospital Ownership and Technical Inefficiency," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 110-123, January.
- Nazrul Islam, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-1170. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)