Modelling Economic Time Series in the Presence of Variance Non-Stationarity: A Practical Approach
Although non-stationarity in the level of a time series is always tested (and there is a variety of tests for this purpose), non-stationarity in the variance is sometimes neglected in applied research. In this work, the consequences of neglecting variance non-stationarity in economic time series, and the conceptual difference between variance non-stationarity and conditional variance are discussed. An ad hoc method for testing and correcting for variance non-stationarity is suggested. It is shown that the presence of variance non-stationarity leads to misspecified univariate ARIMA models and correcting for it, the number of model parameters is vastly reduced. The implications of the tests for the hypothesis of weak form market efficiency (WFME) are discussed. More specifically it is argued that the usual autocorrelation tests are inappropriate when based on the differences of asset prices. Finally, it is shown how the analysis of outliers is affected by the presence of variance non-stationarity.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Applied Financial Economics, 2004, 14 (4), pp. 265-278. Titled "The Importance of Variance Stationarity in Economic Time Series Modelling. A Practical Approach".|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bankofgreece.gr|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agustín Maravall, 1996. "Unobserved Components in Economic Time Series," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9609, Banco de Espa�a.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- James D. Hamilton & Baldev Raj, 2002. "New directions in business cycle research and financial analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 149-162.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Nelson, Harold Jr. & Granger, C. W. J., 1979. "Experience with using the Box-Cox transformation when forecasting economic time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 57-69, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.