xtdpdqml: Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of linear dynamic short-T panel-data models
In this presentation, I discuss the new Stata command xtdpdqml, which implements the unconditional quasi-maximum likelihood estimators of Bhargava and Sargan (1983, Econometrica 51: 1635–1659) for linear dynamic panel models with random effects and of Hsiao, Pesaran, and Tahmiscioglu (2002, Journal of Econometrics 109: 107–150) for linear dynamic panel models with fixed effects when the number of cross-sections is large and the time dimension is fixed. The marginal distribution of the initial observations is modeled as a function of the observed variables to circumvent a short-T dynamic panel-data bias. Robust standard errors are available following the arguments of Hayakawa and Pesaran (2015, Journal of Econometrics 188: 111–134). xtdpdqml also supports standard postestimation commands, including suest, which can be used for a generalized Hausman test to discriminate between the dynamic random-effects and the dynamic fixed-effects model.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sebastian Kripfganz, 2016.
"Quasi–maximum likelihood estimation of linear dynamic short-T panel-data models,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 16(4), pages 1013-1038, December.
- Sebastian Kripfganz, 2016. "xtdpdqml: Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of linear dynamic short-T panel-data models," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2016 12, Stata Users Group.
- Everaert, Gerdie & Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2007. "Bootstrap-based bias correction for dynamic panels," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 1160-1184, April.
- Giovanni S. F. Bruno, 2005. "Estimation and inference in dynamic unbalanced panel-data models with a small number of individuals," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 5(4), pages 473-500, December.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno, 2005. "Estimation and inference in dynamic unbalanced panel data models with a small number of individuals," KITeS Working Papers 165, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2005.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata," Working Papers 103, Center for Global Development.
- Richard Williams & Paul Allison & Enrique Moral Benito, 2015. "Linear Dynamic Panel-Data Estimation using Maximum Likelihood and Structural Equation Modeling," 2015 Stata Conference 11, Stata Users Group.
- Ignace De Vos & Gerdie Everaert & Ilse Ruyssen, 2015. "Bootstrap-based bias correction and inference for dynamic panels with fixed effects," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 15(4), pages 986-1018, December.
- Ignace De Vos & Gerdie Everaert & Ilse Ruyssen, 2015. "Bootstrap-Based Bias Correction And Inference For Dynamic Panels With Fixed Effects," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 15/906, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hayakawa, Kazuhiko & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2015. "Robust standard errors in transformed likelihood estimation of dynamic panel data models with cross-sectional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 111-134.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991. "Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bun, Maurice J. G. & Kiviet, Jan F., 2003. "On the diminishing returns of higher-order terms in asymptotic expansions of bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 145-152, May.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Jan F. Kiviet, 2002. "On the Diminishing Returns of Higher-order Terms in Asymptotic Expansions of Bias," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-099/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 Oct 2002.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995. "On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.