Price Setting in the Argentine and Colombian Manufacturing Industry
A price-setting mechanism based on a markup over variable costs is studied for the quite different inflationary experiences of Argentina and Colombia. The paper pursues a twofold strategy: first,it tests the null hypothesis of a constant markup against the alternative of a variable one; second, it checks the sensitivity of the price setting mechanism to strong shifts in the amcroeconomic environmente. The model explains price seeting during periods of moderate and high inflation in both countries. However, it is less powerful for the period of price stability in Argentina. Finally, markups seem to be constant for all types of inflationary experiences except hyperinflation. This stands in contrast to a body of literature that has found a negative relationschip between markups and inflation for OECD countries. The estimation shed light on other interesting issues: productivity has become a crucial determinant of prices for Argentianian manufacturing firms during the period of stability and opening of the economy;in contrast, the results suggest a weak impact of the opening on Colombian firms.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tommasi, Mariano, 1994. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets: Toward Understanding the Effects of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1385-96, December.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "Market Structure and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 285-338.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986.
"The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Mariano Tommasi, 1993. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 700, UCLA Department of Economics.
- repec:bla:restud:v:60:y:1993:i:1:p:69-94 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaskarelis, Ioannis A, 1993. "Inflation and the Mark-Up in UK Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 391-407, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:090. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.