Price Setting in the Argentine and Colombian Manufacturing Industry
A price-setting mechanism based on a markup over variable costs is studied for the quite different inflationary experiences of Argentina and Colombia. The paper pursues a twofold strategy: first,it tests the null hypothesis of a constant markup against the alternative of a variable one; second, it checks the sensitivity of the price setting mechanism to strong shifts in the amcroeconomic environmente. The model explains price seeting during periods of moderate and high inflation in both countries. However, it is less powerful for the period of price stability in Argentina. Finally, markups seem to be constant for all types of inflationary experiences except hyperinflation. This stands in contrast to a body of literature that has found a negative relationschip between markups and inflation for OECD countries. The estimation shed light on other interesting issues: productivity has become a crucial determinant of prices for Argentianian manufacturing firms during the period of stability and opening of the economy;in contrast, the results suggest a weak impact of the opening on Colombian firms.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Piso 7|
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/es/publicaciones-buscador/23
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Hall, 1986.
"The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Kaskarelis, Ioannis A, 1993. "Inflation and the Mark-Up in UK Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 391-407, November.
- Mariano Tommasi, 1993. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets," UCLA Economics Working Papers 700, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Hall, 1986. "Market Structure and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(2), pages 285-338.
- Tommasi, Mariano, 1994. "The Consequences of Price Instability on Search Markets: Toward Understanding the Effects of Inflation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1385-96, December.
- Roland Bénabou & Robert Gertner, 1993. "Search with Learning from Prices: Does Increased Inflationary Uncertainty Lead to Higher Markups?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 69-93.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdr:borrec:090. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.