Safety first portfolio choice based on financial and sustainability returns
This paper lays the mathematical foundations of the notion of an investment's sustainability return and investigates three different models of portfolio selection with probabilistic constraints for safety first investors caring about the financial and the sustainability consequences of their investments. The discussion of these chance-constrained programming problems for stochastic and deterministic sustainability returns includes theoretical results especially on the existence of a unique solution under certain conditions, an illustrating example, and a computational time analysis. Furthermore, we conclude that a simple convex combination of financial and sustainability returns - yielding a new univariate decision variable - is not sufficiently general.
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitäts-Str. 31, D-93040 Regensburg|
Phone: +49 941 943-2392
Fax: +49 941 943-4752
Web page: http://www-wiwi.uni-regensburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arzac, Enrique R. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1977. "Portfolio choice and equilibrium in capital markets with safety-first investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 277-288, May.
- Ballestero, Enrique & Bravo, Mila & Pérez-Gladish, Blanca & Arenas-Parra, Mar & Plà-Santamaria, David, 2012. "Socially Responsible Investment: A multicriteria approach to portfolio selection combining ethical and financial objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 487-494.
- Abdelaziz, Fouad Ben & Aouni, Belaid & Fayedh, Rimeh El, 2007. "Multi-objective stochastic programming for portfolio selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1811-1823, March.
- Bollen, Nicolas P. B., 2007. "Mutual Fund Attributes and Investor Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(03), pages 683-708, September.
- Hallerbach, W.G.P.M. & Ning, H. & Soppe, A.B.M. & Spronk, J., 2002.
"A Framework for Managing a Portfolio of Socially Responsible Investments,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2002-54-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Hallerbach, Winfried & Ning, Haikun & Soppe, Aloy & Spronk, Jaap, 2004. "A framework for managing a portfolio of socially responsible investments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 517-529, March.
- M. Ryan Haley & Charles Whiteman, 2008. "Generalized Safety First and a New Twist on Portfolio Performance," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4-6), pages 457-483.
- Zakri Y. Bello, 2005. "Socially Responsible Investing And Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 41-57.
- Benson, Karen L. & Humphrey, Jacquelyn E., 2008. "Socially responsible investment funds: Investor reaction to current and past returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1850-1859, September.
- Watanabe, Tsunemi & Ellis, Hugh, 1994. "A joint chance-constrained programming model with row dependence," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 325-343, September.
- Galema, Rients & Plantinga, Auke & Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "The stocks at stake: Return and risk in socially responsible investment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2646-2654, December.
- Huang, Xiaoxia, 2008. "Portfolio selection with a new definition of risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 351-357, April.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bay:rdwiwi:19914. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gernot Deinzer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.