Consumption-Based Direct Taxes: A Guide Tour of the Amusement Park
Although consumption-based direct taxation has long been advocated in academic and policy circles, very few countries have actually implemented such taxes. This article analyzes numerous attempts to implement various forms of consumption-based direct taxation around the world, drawing on the authors' experiences with some of these efforts. It provides an overview of alternative approaches to direct consumption taxation, examines arguments favoring consumption taxes over income taxes, and then analyzes efforts at “fundamental tax reform” – that involved replacing an income tax with a consumption tax – in both the United States and numerous developing countries and countries in transition from socialism.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 404-413-0235|
Web page: http://aysps.gsu.edu/isp/index.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George R. Zodrow, 2007. "Should Capital Income be Subject to Consumption-Based Taxation?," Working Papers 0715, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Michael Devereux & Harold Freeman, 1991. "A general neutral profits tax," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 1-15, August.
- McLure, Charles E, Jr, 1992. "A Simpler Consumption-Based Alternative to the Income Tax for Socialist Economies in Transition," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(2), pages 221-237, July.
- Michael Keen & John King, 2002. "The Croatian profit tax: an ACE in practice," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(3), pages 401-418, September.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984.
"A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982. "A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax," Working Papers 461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- John W. Diamond & George R. Zodrow, 2006. "Economic Effects of a Personal Capital Income Tax Add-On to a Consumption Tax," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0629, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- John W. Diamond & George R. Zodrow, 2007. "Economic Effects of A Personal Capital Income Tax Add-on to a Consumption Tax," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0715, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- John W. Diamond & George R. Zodrow, 2007. "Economic Effects of a Personal Capital-Income Tax Add-On to a Flat Tax," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 63(3), pages 374-395, September.
- Zodrow,George R. & Mieszkowski,Peter (ed.), 2002. "United States Tax Reform in the 21st Century," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521803830, March.
- David Altig, 2001. "Simulating Fundamental Tax Reform in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 574-595, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)