The Impact of SMP and EMU on German Banking
This study assesses the impact of the single market program (SMP) and the European monetary union (EMU) on the German banking sector. As a main result, the introduction of the EMU can be assessed as more important for the German banking system than the SMP because of the relative liberal conditions prior to the SMP. To maintain or enhance profitability in an environment of decreasing margins, all banks will increase their efforts to reduce costs. On the product side, the disintermediation process is expected to speed up. As a consequence, the traditional system of universal banks could be somewhat changed: A partial retreat of savings as well as cooperative banks from investment banking, accompanied by increasing market shares in the branch-based retail business. For commercial banks, the consultation-intense investment business is very attractive. On the retail sector, a specialization on direct banking allows for additional customers from abroad as well as for high growth rates in the brokerage business.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany|
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986.
"Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies,"
Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996. "The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Doris Neu Berger, 1998. "Industrial Organization of Banking: A Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 97-118.
- Wagenvoort, Rien & Schure, Paul, 1999. "Economies of Scale and Efficiency in European Banking: New Evidence," Economic and Financial Reports 1999/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Günter Lang & Peter Welzel, 1998. "Technology and Cost Efficiency in Universal Banking A “Thick Frontier”-Analysis of the German Banking Industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 63-84, July.
- Günter Lang, Peter Welzel, 1999.
"Mergers Among German Cooperative Banks. A Panel-based Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
Working Paper Series B
1999-03, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1999. "Mergers among German Cooperative Banks: A Panel-Based Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 273-86, December.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aug:augsbe:0192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.