Using the contingent valuation method to inform sustainable wetland management: the case of the Akrotiri wetland in Cyprus
Wetlands are a crucial component of water resources, providing several ecological functions and services, including flood attenuation, groundwater recharge and water quality maintenance, as well as conservation of biodiversity and provision of recreational activities. In Cyprus, an arid country with scarce water resources, wetlands have been degraded and drained due to the increasing intensity of agricultural production, water pollution, dam construction and the failure of existing national policies to efficiently and effectively manage them. In this paper it is stated that in order to be able to design and implement efficient and effective policies for sustainable wetland management, both the use and the non-use values generated by their several services and functions need to be realized and captured. This paper employs a non-market valuation method, namely a contingent valuation survey, to estimate the economic benefits generated by the Akrotiri wetland in Cyprus. The paper proposes how the results of this survey can be employed to design and implement efficient and effective wetland conservation policies, as a part of integrated water resource management in Cyprus, as required by the European UnionÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½s Water Framework Directive.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Reducing the Vulnerability of Societies to Water Related Risks at the Basin Scale|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 76, Patission Street, Athens 104 34|
Phone: (+301) 8214021
Fax: (301) 8214021
Web page: http://deos.aueb.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kosz, Michael, 1996. "Valuing riverside wetlands: the case of the "Donau-Auen" national park," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 109-127, February.
- Timothy Haab, 1999. "Nonparticipation or Misspecification? The Impacts of Nonparticipation on Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(4), pages 443-461, December.
- Woodward, Richard T. & Wui, Yong-Suhk, 2001. "The economic value of wetland services: a meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 257-270, May.
- Andreas Kontoleon & Timothy Swanson, 2003. "The Willingness to Pay for Property Rights for the Giant Panda: Can a Charismatic Species Be an Instrument for Nature Conservation?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(4), pages 483-499.
- Luke Brander & Raymond Florax & Jan Vermaat, 2006. "The Empirics of Wetland Valuation: A Comprehensive Summary and a Meta-Analysis of the Literature," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 223-250, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aue:wpaper:0701. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.